How much is a 55lb. Sack of Marris Otter...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lodovico

Reaction score
at your LHBS?? My guy wants $73 and I'm thinking that's pretty high but I don't have anywhere else in driving distance and I can't imagine finding it cheaper than that if I need it shipped online.

at your LHBS?? My guy wants $73 and I'm thinking that's pretty high but I don't have anywhere else in driving distance and I can't imagine finding it cheaper than that if I need it shipped online.

They want $68 here

I got my last sack for $40 at Mid Country, I hate LHBS pricing.:(

Marris Otter is $62 at my LHBS. (55#)

For what it's worth:

American 2 row (Breiss): $48 (50#)
Pilsner (Breiss): $51 (50#)
British 2 Row: $58 (55#)
American wheat (Breiss) $55 (50#)

...and no shipping charges, just order a week or two early and pick up!

It depends on what brand of malt you are buying. You can buy domestic maris otter for less money than English MO, but it's not the same thing to my taste.

I can get Rahr 2-row for $40 a bag, but I think it tastes like garbage so I use Castle pale which costs almost double.

But when you're brewing 5 gallons for $35-$45 and 6-packs are currently $10 plus tax, who gives a crap if the grains that taste better add $5 or $10 to your 5 gallon batch.

Of course, to each his own.

Don't know that I've ever seen whole sacks of MO available at my LHBS, but UK MO is pricy because of the cost of freight and the floor-malting process.

Believe I paid $35/sack for Thomas Fawcett MO during a local bulk buy earlier this spring.

Back