How long do crushed grains stay usably fresh in the freezer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

diesel_88

Reaction score
I don't have a grain mill, so I buy it crushed. How long in the freezer before off flavors start to creep in? What off flavors are characteristic of too-old malt?

Thanks!

I really don't think I would store grain in the freezer myself. Just dry and room temp, even crushed its going to last a long time. There are home brew stores that sell their kits on the web with crushed grains and the grains can sit there crushed for a long time before the kit is sold.... But others may have a different outlook.
How long do you normally keep your grain?

Cheers
Jay

How long do you normally keep your grain?

I don't have a "normally" yet--I'm just re-starting brewing after an eight-year hiatus (moved to Alabama where it was illegal until April). Never used to keep grain long enough to worry about, but now with kids underfoot and time precious, I'll have to scale my brewing way back.

Depending on what they are stored in in the freezer they could pick up flavors from the food in there or moisture.

I just recently brewed a batch from 20 lbs of grain that was crushed two and a half months ago and stored in a paper bag in my living room. I hit my numbers and cracked a bottle a few days ago and it didn't taste stale or off, it tasted really good! I still don't want to make a habit of brewing with old crushed grains though.

I'll have to scale my brewing way back.

Well if I may just make a suggestion (not that you really asked for one) If you feel there is cause for concern why not just buy what you need per batch instead of buying bulk. I mean yes bulk is cheaper, but in the short run it may be a better option until you either pick up a mill or start brewing more. Personally I would suggest BOTH:cross: but that's just me...;)

Like I said I wouldn't store grain in the freezer. I personally think you would be doing more harm than good.

I've had crushed grain sit for months in the brew closet. No ill effects. As long as its kept dry and air can get to it I don't think it would spoil for quite some time. Not something to worry about IMO.

Well if I may just make a suggestion (not that you really asked for one) If you feel there is cause for concern why not just buy what you need per batch instead of buying bulk.

All suggestions welcome!

Since I brew in small batches it's more the specialty grains I was wondering about. At 1-2 oz per batch, a pound lasts a while. Based on the responses, it doesn't sound like storing them is a problem.

Thanks!

Back