how does this sound?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

honkin

Reaction score
3 lbs. plain light LME
1 lbs. Amber DME
12 oz. 60L
4 oz. 120L
4 oz. honey malt
1 lb. honey

1 oz goldings hops at boil
1 oz. goldings at 35 minutes

Thinking about Burton yeast

3 lbs. plain light LME
1 lbs. Amber DME
12 oz. 60L
4 oz. 120L
4 oz. honey malt
1 lb. honey

Batch size, boil size, what type of 60L and 120L, american crystal? What style beer are you trying to achieve? What does at boil mean? 60 mintues?

5 gallon
I usually boil 2.5 gallons
I'm a newbie, 60L and 120L is all I know
Something like an english bitter with a little more sweetness, therefore the honey malt and color of a brown therefore the 120L
yes, 60 minute

Sounds like a real light beer. Is that what you are shooting for? Do you have any software to help you with the recipe?

EDIT: I didn't see the pound of honey. Not sure how that will affect the outcome.

35 minute hop addition is just a waste.

Most bitters have at least a slight if not more generous late hops in it.

If you want to use only 2 oz and you have a level of bitterness in mind, do 1.5 oz at the beginning, and the other half at flameout. Take from beginning boil and move to end if ibus is too high.

3 lbs. plain light LME
1 lbs. Amber DME
12 oz. 60L
4 oz. 120L
4 oz. honey malt
1 lb. honey

I ran this through BeerSmith and you will be creating a very low gravity beer (1.038). If that is what you want then you are good to go.
Here is what Beer Smith estimates the color of the beer will be as per your recipe:
bitter-63242.jpg

Be aware that honey is VERY fermentable and it has been my experience that it ferments out completely leaving very little honey character or sweetness.
If it were me, I would not use the honey and up the amber DME by a pound or maybe a pound and a half. This would give you an OG of about 1.040 to 1.045.
If you want more color, you could increase the 120L crystal to maybe 1/2 pound. I tend to like maltier beers so I may be a bit biased.
Let us know what you decide on for your recipe. I'll be interested to see how it comes out. :mug:

As an all grain brewer my bitter is mostly marris otter with some C60, biscuit and dextrose for dryness. I would use amber extract for 80-90% of your sugars. Steep C60, marris otter and biscuit. Use your honey in place of the dextrose.

Back