Hops Help for Newbie

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neomich

Reaction score
There's been an announcement that Hops prices will be going up very soon. I'd like to stock up on 2 or 3 different types while the prices are cheap. I've only done one extract batch and I'm not completely commited on what my next few batches might be.

Does anyone have some suggestions for a few different 'multi-recipe' hops? Remember, I'm new at this and probably don't have the palate to really tell the finer differences between them anyways but I still want to experience the varieties. Maybe just stock up on one good one?

Thanks.

if u brew alot of german recipes hallertau is great, american beers use alot of cascade, english use alot of fuggles or goldings, it would really depend on what beers u like. if u can tell us some of your favorite beers we could give you a better idea.

Well, I like a good Hefe, that's what I did on my first batch currently in primary. I'd like to check out a good Red Ale, maybe an American Pale Ale, sooner or later I owe it to myself to do an IPA, some of the other flavored recipes on here sound pretty good too.

Maybe a good English, German and American hops would be useful in helping me come up with my next batches. I can work around one ingredient, I'm very flexible in my beer selection.

If you're looking at an IPA then think Warrior, Cascade, Amarillo, Centennial & Columbus.

Back