Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway - Last Weekend to Enter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Hop Growing in So Cal anyone?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2008, 10:36 PM   #11
david_42
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 135 Times on 128 Posts

Hot is good, as long as there is enough water. 100F for weeks is common in up here and Yakima is even hotter.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2008, 12:09 AM   #12
gwood
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M
Put some eye hooks up high on the house and string heavy twine or cable to stakes in the ground near where you plan. They'll climb that.
That was the idea I had cookin but I'd like to rig something that is a bit higher up (single story bungalow).

Old 01-30-2008, 12:47 AM   #13
MR. Zak
Recipes 

you could always look into dwarf varieties that only grow about six to ten feet and if put into a planter (say an old 15 gal. extract drum cut in half) you can move them to any location to get better sun or to keep them out of the elements as well i use the extract drums cut in half and keep them in front of my garage and move them inside when it gets cold
just a thought!
Z

Old 01-31-2008, 03:09 AM   #14
gwood

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR. Zak
you could always look into dwarf varieties that only grow about six to ten feet and if put into a planter (say an old 15 gal. extract drum cut in half) you can move them to any location to get better sun or to keep them out of the elements as well i use the extract drums cut in half and keep them in front of my garage and move them inside when it gets cold
just a thought!
Z
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll do a search for dwarf varieties tonight!

Old 01-31-2008, 02:30 PM   #15
pjj2ba
Look under the recliner

Recipes 

Liked 195 Times on 161 Posts
Likes Given: 22

It is not how much light is needed. To get hops to flower they need a short night. If the night is too long, they won't flower no matter how much light you give them during the day. The general rule of thumb is hops don't flower well south of 35 degrees latitiude and a quick check shows Santa Clarita at ~34.

I posted some stuff on a thread about growing hops in southern Florida you might want to check out for more details.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=52264

Primary: Pale Ale
Brewing soon: Saison
Recently kicked : ( IPA, Bock, Saison,
Pilsner Urquell Master Homebrewer
(1st NYC 2011, 2nd NYC 2012)
P U crowns winners in its inaugural master HB competition

Old 01-31-2008, 05:51 PM   #16
gwood

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjj2ba
It is not how much light is needed. To get hops to flower they need a short night. If the night is too long, they won't flower no matter how much light you give them during the day. The general rule of thumb is hops don't flower well south of 35 degrees latitiude and a quick check shows Santa Clarita at ~34.

I posted some stuff on a thread about growing hops in southern Florida you might want to check out for more details.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=52264
Thanks for the info. I'm sure I could trick them into a longer day without TOO much effort (hence a shorter night) - I have an old HPS and a metal halide but I think that would be a bit much

I'd be concerned about the squirrels more than anything else. Our area is just infested with them at every turn. They have caused quite a headache already in our gardens and have been a constant battle.

Old 01-31-2008, 07:48 PM   #17
pjj2ba
Look under the recliner

Recipes 

Liked 195 Times on 161 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwood
Thanks for the info. I'm sure I could trick them into a longer day without TOO much effort (hence a shorter night) - I have an old HPS and a metal halide but I think that would be a bit much

I'd be concerned about the squirrels more than anything else. Our area is just infested with them at every turn. They have caused quite a headache already in our gardens and have been a constant battle.
I'd watch the threads on this board in the summer and wait until I'd heard reports of other people plants having cones starting before worrying about adding the lights.

I've got lots of squirrels around and they leave my plants alone. Of course there is plenty of other food around. The rhizomes get big pretty fast so I wouldn't worry about that. They might however go after your first new shoots. Once there 12" or so I don't think you'd have a problem anymore
Primary: Pale Ale
Brewing soon: Saison
Recently kicked : ( IPA, Bock, Saison,
Pilsner Urquell Master Homebrewer
(1st NYC 2011, 2nd NYC 2012)
P U crowns winners in its inaugural master HB competition

Old 01-31-2008, 09:32 PM   #18
gwood

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjj2ba
I'd watch the threads on this board in the summer and wait until I'd heard reports of other people plants having cones starting before worrying about adding the lights.

I've got lots of squirrels around and they leave my plants alone. Of course there is plenty of other food around. The rhizomes get big pretty fast so I wouldn't worry about that. They might however go after your first new shoots. Once there 12" or so I don't think you'd have a problem anymore
I would hope they'll be fat and happy between our two gardens and the orange tree next door!

Quick Reply