Hop Burst IPA - critique please...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mpavlik22

Reaction score
I have made quite a few IPA's that have turned out pretty well. However i have not been able to get that smooth bitterness that i taste from the local microbreweries. I came across this article and I think it may have some truth. A quick search on here reveal's that several people have had very successful results from "Hop Bursting" or using late hop additions only.

I came up with this recipe using my favorite three hops for IPA's. I also tried to keep the grain bill simple to show off the hops flavor/aroma.

Hop Burst IPA

Size: 5.00 gal
Efficiency: 75.0%

Original Gravity: 1.064
Terminal Gravity: 1.016
Color: 8.17
Alcohol: 6.34%
Bitterness: 78.7

Ingredients:
12.0 lb 2-Row Brewers Malt
1.0 lb Vienna Malt
0.5 lb Crystal Malt 40°L
.5 oz Magnum (14.5%) - added first wort, boiled 90 min
.5 oz Centennial (10.0%) - added during boil, boiled 15 min
.5 oz Cascade (5.5%) - added during boil, boiled 15 min
.5 oz Chinook (13.0%) - added during boil, boiled 15 min
.5 oz Centennial (10.0%) - added during boil, boiled 10 min
.5 oz Cascade (5.5%) - added during boil, boiled 10 min
.5 oz Chinook (13.0%) - added during boil, boiled 10 min
.5 oz Centennial (10.0%) - added during boil, boiled 5 min
.5 oz Cascade (5.5%) - added during boil, boiled 5 min
.5 oz Chinook (13.0%) - added during boil, boiled 5 min
.5 oz Centennial (10.0%) - added during boil, boiled 1 min
.5 oz Cascade (5.5%) - added during boil, boiled 1 min
.5 oz Chinook (13.0%) - added during boil, boiled 1 min
.5 oz Centennial (10.0%) - added dry to secondary fermenter (7 DAYS)
.5 oz Cascade (5.5%) - added dry to secondary fermenter (7 DAYS)
.5 oz Chinook (13.0%) - added dry to secondary fermenter (7 DAYS)

WLP001 OR WLP051

So what do you think? Up the hop additions more than .5oz each (it is .75oz each addition total)?

Has anyone done anything similar to this?

I just made my first continuous hopped recipe. I found that gave me the smooth bitterness and flavor that was seemed lacking from my previous recipes. I added hops at basically 5 -10 minute intervals

bferullo said:
I just made my first continuous hopped recipe. I found that gave me the smooth bitterness and flavor that was seemed lacking from my previous recipes. I added hops at basically 5 -10 minute intervals

Can u list quantities and the times added please?

Looks decent enough. I would add more to the dryhop, mash thin around 148, get that FG lower, and use WLP001.

All of my IPAs were coming out too smooth and never really had the hop bite I get from most commercial examples. I do only FWH and 15> adds for all my hopping. I started adding small (.25oz) 60 min additions and began to perceive the bite. I did a IIPA with 101 IBUs and 8.8% FWH and 15> adds and it was incredible. All hop flavor and aroma with none of the bite. Down side was it was almost 9% and went down like water.

All of my IPAs were coming out too smooth and never really had the hop bite I get from most commercial examples. All hop flavor and aroma with none of the bite.

Then you need to stop FWH then and simply bitter your beer. Look to the dank varieties like Summit, Columbus, Chinook, Simcoe.

Looks decent enough. I would add more to the dryhop, mash thin around 148, get that FG lower, and use WLP001.

this

I would also spruce up the grain bill a little as well if it were me. I like a more pronounced malt character. I would sub the Vienna for Munich and up the percentage to ~ 15%.

Hop schedule looks nice though. I think a controlled bittering charge plays well with late hop blasts. I love smooth bittering, but you need enough bite to balance the bigger aroma and OG out.

jus my 2 cents.

I think you should go with your recipe, if you use wlp001 i would mash at 152. if you use wlp051 go for around 148 and a little bit bigger starter maybe.

I've made a very similar brew and it came out great. I used Amarillo instead of cascade and only boiled for 60, but other than that the hopping was the same. It came out very flavorful and aromatic with low to mid bitterness. Just enough to balance IMO. My grain bill was very similar too. Switch the Vienna for Munich and raise it to 2lbs. Also I replaced one of your pounds of base with a pound of toasted. Mashed @ 150, fermented w/ US05. Ive only made about 20 batches total so far, but this is in the top 2 or 3 without a doubt. maybe the best.

Latest posts

Back