hef

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kcross13

Reaction score
looking to style a hef towards unfiltered czech wheat

for 3 gallon biab

3lb pils malt
3lb wheat
.25 lb crystal

.25 saaz 60 min

.25 saaz 20
.25 saaz 10
.25 saaz 5
.5 saaz steep

thinking maybe a step mash. sach at 153

bavarain II wyeast

looking to style a hef towards unfiltered czech wheat

for 3 gallon biab

2lb pils malt
4lb wheat

.25 tetang 60 min

.25 saaz 10
.25 saaz 5
.5 saaz steep

thinking maybe a step mash. sach at 153

bavarain II wyeast

The IBU's seem a bit low. for a hef, not horribly low, but maybe you want to bump them up just a bit with an additional .25 saaz for bittering. Other than that, looks like a nice simple recipe for a great style.

Edit: when I wrote this I didn't notice that hef's can have IBU's lower than 10. So, if you want it malty, then you are spot on. Let us know how it works out!

I go just over 0.2 BU:GU for hefs. I think you'll be good. It's all about fermentation for this type of beer. Make sure you have good temp control and a starter if possible.

i forgot the steep of .5 saaz. Recently in czech had some great unfiltered wheats. I assume ale but that is a culture addicted to lagers (and pork by the way, love it)
Anyways looking at some thing towards those beers.

I get 10 IBUs at that point.

Did you happen to go to the Ufleku brewery in Prague? Czech has some great dark lagers. I'm on a quest over the next few years to find a dark or dunkle lager that I remember from my days spent in Czech. :mug:

No I was down in Brno, in Moravia. Mostly known for wine but with a new huge boost in new craft style breweries that are putting out some pretty interesting traditional styles. My favorite was Pivovar Dalesice. A real tasty pale lager.

OK this doesn't taste that strong. About to bottle but with a starting gravity of 1.055 and a finished at 1.008 it calculates at 6.3% . How did it dry out so much? any comments will be appreciated.

Back