Is Guinness filtered?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fingers

Reaction score
I bought some liquid Irish yeast and I want to get two ten gallon batches out of it, one of them being a Guinness clone. I've brewed my first Irish ale and I'll likely pick up my Guinness ingredients on Saturday to pitch on the cake. So I'm doing some research on clone recipes and I come across one that says to add a bottle of Guinness to get their yeast.

Some breweries use a different yeast for carbing than they do for brewing. My question is whether that's the case with Guinness or not? Just curiousity at this point because I already have my yeast and I'll go ahead and use it, but it just doesn't seem to me that a brand like Guinness would let their yeast out like that.

Any ideas? Oh, and if you have a good recipe, please post it up.

BierMuncher's got a clone in his sig...

Also, you should wash your yeast. You'll get a lot more than 2 batches out of it

To acctually answer the question though, no I'm pretty sure it's not...like you said I can't see them letting their yeasties out like that

EDIT!: Oops yeah...I just took some nyquil and I'm on the way out...

I meant to say: Yes, I'm pretty sure it IS FILTERED

I think Guinness is filtered, the bottles and cans say "pasteurized stout," why would they leave dead yeast in there. I have also heard that they use isinglass to speed up the process of flocculation, this came from a friend who is a vegan and won't drink Guinness (fish guts, yum!), however I don't know if I believe this.

greenhornet said:
Also, you should wash your yeast. You'll get a lot more than 2 batches out of it.

I'll get there. I have a bunch of test tubes, some glycerin, and a high temp turkey baster. There was a 5.5 liter pressure cooker on sale for half price but I missed the sale.

At this point I'm just brewing like mad to get a winter stockpile so I really don't have time to do too much with my yeast. I figure 20 gallons per smack pack is good value until I can start my yeast bank. I'd prefer to harvest directly from the smack pack and then make a starter by stepping up the remaining amount through the course of a week. That will keep the genetic mutations down to a minimum.

Fingers said:
I bought some liquid Irish yeast and I want to get two ten gallon batches out of it, one of them being a Guinness clone. I've brewed my first Irish ale and I'll likely pick up my Guinness ingredients on Saturday to pitch on the cake. So I'm doing some research on clone recipes and I come across one that says to add a bottle of Guinness to get their yeast.

Some breweries use a different yeast for carbing than they do for brewing. My question is whether that's the case with Guinness or not? Just curiousity at this point because I already have my yeast and I'll go ahead and use it, but it just doesn't seem to me that a brand like Guinness would let their yeast out like that.

Any ideas? Oh, and if you have a good recipe, please post it up.

Sorry, there aint no yeast in a Guiness bottle, at least that's the conclusion of 3 friends and also my experiments. So, whoever told you that, IMHO, is full of chittlins. I love Guiness, in fact, i have a carboy full of clone, 6 mo old right now. MMMMMMM!! Ready to bottle and enjoy. You'll find a great clone recipe in "Clone Brews" page 120. Try it out...........:)

Yeah but washing yeast isn't all that hard...

Only fancy stuff I've got is a couple of quart size jars and about 200 6oz baby food jars. I found a lady on craigslist that sells me 100 jars for $10.

Just pour all of your trub into a jar and stick it in the fridge for 10 min. Then pour off the top liquid into another jar....let it rest again then without tilting it back up pour the top liquid into the small baby food jars.

It's like AG...easy once you do it

Sure, freezing yeast will last longer but you can still get a lot more than 2 batches out of a vial pretty easily

Fingers said:
So I'm doing some research on clone recipes and I come across one that says to add a bottle of Guinness to get their yeast.

Sure about that? Some recipes recommend souring a bottle/can of guinness and using that in the recipe. IIRC, one of the BYO clones uses this.

Here's a Beamish clone.

I can't vouch for it. (Graham Wheeler)

Ingredients: (for 22 litres)

* 2.85 kg pale malt
* 160 g chocolate malt
* 400 g roasted barley
* 400 g wheat malt (!)
* 200 g white sugar (in kettle)
* 23 g Northern Brewer, pellets, 6.3% AA @ 120 min
* 25 g Fuggles, leaf, 5% AA @ 120 min.
* 11 g Fuggles, leaf, 5% AA @ 15 min.
* Salts: 3.6 g CaCO3, 0.5 g CaCl2, 1.3 g CaSO4 and 0.3 g NaCl.
* WYeast #1084 Irish

Procedure:
Step mash 30 min @ 43C, 45 min @ 60C, 15 min @ 70C and 15 min @ 77C.

Total boil time: 120 min.

Fermented with WYeast #1084 Irish at 19.5C. Open fermentation in primary for 5 days and closed in secondary for 8 days.
Specifics:

* OG: 1.041
* FG: 1.011

If you are bottling or co2 carbing, it will be tough or impossible to replicate Guinness. The nitro-carb mix softens the roastiness of the beer, and reduces the already subdued hops. With the right recipe, you can make a damn fine dry Irish stout, but you will be hard pressed to convince hard core Guinness fans that a regular c02 powered beer is a Guinness clone.

Orfy, thanks for the Beamish clone. I actually prefer that over Guinness, however they are both great beers IMHO.

Ryan_PA said:
If you are bottling or co2 carbing, it will be tough or impossible to replicate Guinness.

Yeah, I know that, Ryan, but I want to give it a go anyway. It isn't out of the realm of possibility for me to buy a beer gas tank to supplement my regular CO2 system one day so I'd like to see how it turns out just with the existing equipment. I'm a recent AG brewer, so I hope you'll forgive me if I get some of the cliche clones out of my system. I'm doing several Irish ale type brews right now and I have to cover the standard bases, I think. I've got all the time in the world now that I'm here so I want to play a bit.

:ban:

Then again, an oatmeal or chocolat stout might pitch well on top of the Irish red cake.... Hmmmm....

Orphy, I'm a poor, ignorant Canadian country boy. I don't know what a Beamish is. *hangs head in shame*

Dude, you will make a fine beer. I have a stout recipe you may want to try, but it is on my home PC. I will PM you later.

Beamish is another Irish Dry Stout. Chances are you can find a 4 pack of cans in you local beer store.

which guinness the extra stout or draught?

my personal favorite is the extra stout. unfortunately for some reason it is required to be pasteurized in order to be imported which should kill all remnants of any yeast. however since it is brewed in canadia you could probably get an unpasteurized sample or pack from the brewery.

Ryan_PA said:
Dude, you will make a fine beer. I have a stout recipe you may want to try, but it is on my home PC. I will PM you later.

Heh. I'm not at all worried about making bad beer. Well, no more so than any other cautious brewer. Whether it tastes like Guinness or not is more the issue. I've never made a stout before so naturally I'll select a recipe for a brew I've actually sampled so I have something to compare.

I have only just acquired a taste for fine brews this year since joining HBT in January. The drawback is that I live in the country outside a small farming community. I'm not really embarrassed at not knowing all these different beers because a man has to start somewhere. My beer education by necessity has to evolve slowly.

By all means send me the recipe! I appreciate it very much. Better still, why don't you post it here so we can all have a look? The Guinness clone is certainly not written in stone.

House Stout 2

A ProMash Recipe Report

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (Gal): 5.00 Wort Size (Gal): 5.00
Total Grain (Lbs): 8.50
Anticipated OG: 1.045 Plato: 11.27
Anticipated SRM: 39.6
Anticipated IBU: 32.2
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75 %
Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
64.7 5.50 lbs. Maris Otter Pale Malt Great Britain 1.038 3
23.5 2.00 lbs. Flaked Barley America 1.032 2
11.8 1.00 lbs. Roasted Barley Great Britain 1.029 575

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
1.00 oz. Goldings - E.K. Whole 4.75 21.3 60 min.
1.00 oz. Goldings - E.K. Whole 4.75 7.2 20 min.
0.50 oz. Fuggle Whole 5.00 3.8 20 min.

Yeast
-----

White Labs WLP004 Irish Stout

Latest posts

Back