Grits?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Halldawg

Reaction score
Saw grits listed on one site, are these the grits we eat here in the South? What kid of recipe would you use them in?

i think grits is ground hominy (treated corn) and could be used instead of flaked maize. Don't think it requires a cereal mash.

Since grits is one of the major food groups and should be a included in all three meals of the day for us southerners I guess it should be in at least one beer recipe. If they can add Habanero, why not grits?

Being an uneducated Yankee, I've never had grits. What do they compare to? And don't say they taste like chicken.............

Being an uneducated Yankee, I've never had grits. What do they compare to? And don't say they taste like chicken.............
Grits are the corn equivalent of cream of wheat or oatmeal, but coarser. I like mine savory but some people do sweeten them. One of my dinner party staples is lowcountry shrimp & grits with a roasted red pepper sauce.

Frankly, grocery store grits are nasty. I might use them for brewing but I wouldn't eat them. Freshly stone ground grits are a revelation, even to longtime grits eaters. The best come from Anson Mills in South Carolina, The Old Mill of Guilford in North Carolina, and Byrd Mill in Virginia. All of them do mail order.

Chad

What do grits taste like? Bleach some corn flakes and then cook them until they turn to mush.;)

Since I am a good Southerner, I may have to try them in a recipe. Let me know if any of you have one.

Since I am a good Southerner, I may have to try them in a recipe. Let me know if any of you have one.

Here is the current version of my ordinary bitter, I actually buy hominy and grind it in a coffee grinder, but grits are pretty much the same thing. You do have to boil the grits for 10 mins in water first though, to get the starches gelatinous, then add to mash.

Amarga Común
6# Marris Otter
12oz Crystal 60L
6oz Dememera (piloncillo or turbando will work in a pinch)
6oz grits

1.5oz EKGs (First Wort Hop)
1oz EKGs (Flame Out)

Mash at 156 for 60 mins. The grits need to be cereal mashed before added to the main mash, and the sugar is added to the boil in the last 10 mins. Yeast is WLP023, but s-04 or any other english yeast will work wonderfully.

Cheers.

How does this look?

True Grit Ale
Cream Ale

Type: Extract
Date: 5/5/2009
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Brewer: Brent
Boil Size: 5.94 gal Asst Brewer:
Boil Time: 60 min Equipment: Brent
Taste Rating(out of 50): 35.0 Brewhouse Efficiency: -
Taste Notes:

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
1.00 lb Grits (1.0 SRM) Adjunct 12.50 %
3.00 lb Extra Light Dry Extract (3.0 SRM) Dry Extract 37.50 %
2.00 lb Light Dry Extract (8.0 SRM) Dry Extract 25.00 %
1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 12.50 %
0.50 lb Pale Malt (6 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 6.25 %
0.50 lb White Wheat Malt (2.4 SRM) Grain 6.25 %
1.00 oz Crystal [3.50 %] (60 min) Hops 13.1 IBU
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (5 min) Hops 4.1 IBU
1 Pkgs American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056) Yeast-Ale

You'll have to partial-mash the Pale and Wheat malts along with the cooked grits. I'd throw the 20L Crystal in there, too, just to keep all the grains contained in one place. DeathBrewer's stovetop mashing tutorial is an excellent way to begin.

Good luck!

Bob

Did cook the grits for about 10 min before the mash. Did a partial mash (my first). Seemed to go well. Will let you guys know how it turns out.

Latest posts

Back