Griffin Spit IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpezialK

Reaction score
Hi,
I'm planning to brew the Griffin Spit IPA with a couple of friends for Big Brew Day (see recipe below). This recipes has no specialty grains. I'd like to add something for head retention and to increase the amber color. Any suggestions?
Thanks

Griffin Spit IPA -- Extract Version by Tony McCrimmon
For 5 gallons using a concentrated boil of approximately 3 gallons.
8.5 lb (3.5 kg) Light Liquid Malt Extract
2.0 lb (1.4 kg) Amber Liquid Malt Extract
2.0 oz (57 g) Summit Pellet Hops, 19.0% alpha acid (20 min.)
2.0 oz (57 g) Summit Pellet Hops, 19.0% alpha acid (10 min.)
2.0 oz (57 g) Summit Pellet Hops, 19.0% alpha acid (5 min.)
1.0 oz (28 g) Summit Pellet Hops, 19.0% alpha acid (Dry Hop)
1 tsp. Irish Moss (15 min.)
White Labs WLP002 English Ale Yeast or Wyeast 1968 London ESB Yeast
Stir extract into 2 gallons (7.6 L) of warm water. Bring to a boil – total boil time will be 35 minutes. Add hops and Irish moss according to the recipe (note that all bittering in this beer comes from late addition hops). Cool the wort after completing the boil, and then rack to a fermenter with enough cold water to make 5 gallons. When temperature drops to 66F (19C), pitch two packages of yeast or a ½ gallon starter and aerate well. Ferment at 66-68F (19-20C) for two weeks, then rack to secondary with dry hops added. Leave on hops for three weeks before bottling or kegging.

Cara-pils (dextrine) will help with head retention and some Vienna should help bring the amber color a bit. I'm thinking maybe 8 ounces of each should do the trick?

Having done an IPA recently using Summit I can tell you that 7 oz of Summit is a ton! I used 1/2 an ounce for bittering, 1/2 an ounce for flavor at 30 and 1/4 ounce for aroma at flameout. I plan on brewing this one again and upping both the flavor and aroma to 1 ounce but that's about as much as I would do.
I don't know much about this recipe, but I would probably boil for 60 minutes and add maybe 1/2 an ounce at 60.

Have you tried this recipe yet?
as far as grains, I checked the AG version and maybe add the following:
A pound of Munich, 1/2 pound of crystal 40 and 1/4 pound of dextrine malt? this is my best guess, but I'm not all that adept at changing around recipes.

Dan

Back