Grain weight

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gkal1964

Reaction score
Picked up some grains today at my LHBS. Grain bill is for recipe is 9.25 lbs total. Had the grains milled. When I weigh the grains they only total 8 lbs 10 ounces. Is this normal to lose that much weight during milling or did I not get the correct amount of grains?

you didnt get the correct amount of grains. 9.25lbs of grain should weigh the same whether it is whole or crushed.

Id go back to the shop and show them and get the rest of your grain since you payed for it.

Nuts and bolts, you got screwed. They owe you 10oz., or you need a new scale.

_

I will go back tomorrow, thanks for the quick reply. I just wonder if I should have the whole grain bill redone because I don't know whats not in there, they could have omitted a specialty grain. Or should I just add two row to make up the difference?

I will go back tomorrow, thanks for the quick reply. I just wonder if I should have the whole grain bill redone because I don't know whats not in there, they could have omitted a specialty grain. Or should I just add two row to make up the difference?

Hard to tell, if they left out that much specialty grain, that will impact the flavor, not so much if it's base grain. I would ask for a new batch if I was you.

just checked my scale, it seems to be accurate. I weighed a gallon of water and it said 8 lbs 1/4 ounces. with the container weight taken out. Dreading the drive back to my LHBS tomorrow!

Just like wildwest said, make sure your scale is accurate before you go yelling
at your LHBS. So you don't look like a noob fool!! Cheers!!!

just checked my scale, it seems to be accurate. I weighed a gallon of water and it said 8 lbs 1/4 ounces. with the container weight taken out. Dreading the drive back to my LHBS tomorrow!

Looks like your scale is a bit off.
From http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/water-density-specific-weight-d_595.html
1 US G water at 60F should weigh 8.3378 lbs at 60F. That's 8 lbs 5.4 oz

-a.

From your's and ajf's post your scales seem to be reading at 96% the actual value. Therefore if you put 9.25 lb on it your scale would read 8.89 lb (or 8 lb 14 oz), or working the other way you actually got 8.625/0.96 = 8 lb 15.5 oz. Seems like you might have not got all your grain, but not as bad as it seems (or your measuring jug is off!)

Could be your scale, could be the shop scale. Go to the post office and ask them to weigh your grain and the empty container. That will give you a good standard to calculate error from.

You can also weigh a new 5 lbs bag of flour or sugar to test your scale.

Scale read 8 lbs 4 oz not 1/4 oz as I stated in prev post. Typo, sorry. That's pretty close to accurate considering I'm not scientifically measuring the water amount. Sorry about the confusion

Just like wildwest said, make sure your scale is accurate before you go yelling
at your LHBS. So you don't look like a noob fool!! Cheers!!!

I am not planning to yell at anyone. I certainly want to have a good relationship with my LHBS, a good local supplier is hard to come by. I'm simply going to ask them to review my order to make sure I received all my grains.

Back