Good first-time lager recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Puddlethumper

Reaction score
I've been brewing AG for a couple years now and am finally set up and ready to attempt a lager. Problem is, I've been looking at a whole bunch of lager recipes and haven't found anything that fits the bill for my needs. Hopefully one of our experienced brewers will be able to provide a little guidance.

I'm looking to make something that is light, crisp and refreshing for hot summer days. I would prefer to do something close to typical ale procedures with single temperature mash and batch sparge. I have the capability to control fermentation and lagering temperatures +/- 1F for whatever period is required. 5 gal batch. Moderate IBU's and ABV. I like English beers so a little color isn't a bad thing. The beer will be kegged.

Water here is from my own well and is fairly high in bicarbonate. I can dilute it with RO and/or adjust pH to some extent, but am a little reluctant to attempt to duplicate Pilsen water.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions and insight you might be able to offer.

A Munich Helles might fit the bill. Here's one I have on tap right now:

9# Pilsner malt
.75 Munich malt
.25 Melanoiden malt
Enough acid malt to adjust your pH

Mash @ 151, batch sparge.

22 IBUs Hallertauer (Additions at 60-30-15)

Wyeast 2308 Munich Lager
Primary at 48, lager at 38.

You'll want a clean water profile for light lagers. I'd definitely use at least half RO (I use all RO with little salts).

The old Millerbraü style recipe is a good beer:
(adjusted for 5 gal batches)

7 lb 2 row
1 lb orange blossom (anything non-clove) honey
10g sterling at each: 60 min, 20, 10, and flameout (hopstand 1/2 hour)

I make a light lager with some modern hops:
4 lb pils
3 lb 2 row
1 lb flaked barley
1 oz each at flameout (hopstand for half hour): Galaxy, Mosaic, Delta (it doesn't have to be these hops. Just some fruity stuff is the idea)

Mash 152F.
I've been using dry yeast lately mostly cuz its real easy for me to pitch a full pack onto a 2.5 gallon batch for these low gravity beers...34/70, S-23, Mangrove Jack Bohemian Lager. Pitch 2 for a 5 gal batch.

Have fun, good luck! I love me some low grav lagers.

Thanks guys. All three of those recipes look like they'd fit the bill for me. How long do you ferment and then lager them and at what temps?

11C (52F) primarily. I do ramp it up slowly to low 60s/17C over two weeks in that fast lager method, with the basic idea being that you ferment at the primary temp until it's about 70% attenuated, then the beer doesn't mind (while the yeast appreciate) increases in ferm temp. I used to do 50 for a week then 54 for a week, then basement temp diacetyl rest for a week. But I like the idea of coaxing the yeast along the whole time, to make sure I maximize attenuation and get them to clean up.

cold crash, keg, carb, lager in the keg for 3 weeks at 35.

If you do a Märzen, it could be ready in time for your own Oktoberfest ;-)

11C (52F) primarily. .....
cold crash, keg, carb, lager in the keg for 3 weeks at 35.

Thanks. I can handle that. Do you follow the same steps on all lagers?

If you do a Märzen, it could be ready in time for your own Oktoberfest ;-)

That sounds yummy. Think I'll hold off and maybe try that one next year. Need another freezer that I can dedicate to lagers while the ales are in production. I love to make beer but now I need some help drinking this stuff up! Any volunteers?

Cheers! :mug:

Resurrecting an old thread I started a year ago.

Still looking for the quintessential summer lager. I'd like to do a 5g AG batch dedicated to life in 105F daytime temps in a world that is dryer than a popcorn fart. I'd like to find a recipe for something lighter than a helles (perhaps I've not tasted enough of them) and closer to a kolsch, cream ale or typical American lagers.

What can you suggest to fit that bill?

I haven't brewed what you're asking for yet, but.. I'd go with a majority of 6 row and then nearly equal parts flaked corn and flaked rice. Lager per your usual

Any of the noble variety hops or any of their children.
Any lager yeast will do. I enjoyed saflager 34/70 , others enjoyed s-23

I like using dry yeast for lagers since one pack is fine for 2.5-3 gallon batches. 34/70 can be sulfury imho, but its nice and dry. I like S-23 with a wort that was mashed low. This leads to a dry beer with some sweetness from the yeast (which works well with recipes with no crystal malt). This is what I've done recently with that in mind:

Lil'hop Session IPL
3 gallon batch
OG 1.048

5# pils
1/4# carafoam

Mash at 148-150

2 oz Citra or Amarillo or Simcoe at flameout (hopstand for 20 min)

One pack of S-23

House Lager/Crossover Beer
3 gallon batch
OG 1.045

2# 2-row pale
1.5# pils
1# flaked corn
1/2# flaked rice

Mash 148-150

1/2 oz Mt. Hood @ 60 min (~20 IBUs)

One pack of S-23

I like using dry yeast for lagers since one pack is fine for 2.5-3 gallon batches. 34/70 can be sulfury imho, but its nice and dry. I like S-23 with a wort that was mashed low. This leads to a dry beer with some sweetness from the yeast (which works well with recipes with no crystal malt). This is what I've done recently with that in mind:

Good looking recipes. Mashing 60 minutes? 60 minute boil?

What fermentation temps and for how long?

Thanks

Resurrecting an old thread I started a year ago.

Still looking for the quintessential summer lager. I'd like to do a 5g AG batch dedicated to life in 105F daytime temps in a world that is dryer than a popcorn fart. I'd like to find a recipe for something lighter than a helles (perhaps I've not tasted enough of them) and closer to a kolsch, cream ale or typical American lagers.

What can you suggest to fit that bill?

75% 2-row pale/lager malt
4% light crystal (caramalt)
1.5% acidulated (to adjust pH....or use acid)
19.5% dextrose (corn sugar)
mash at 152 for 90mins
aim for an OG of 1.036
boil for 90 mins:
Cluster hops @ 60mins to make a total of 13IBU's
Cluster @ 10mins (one third grams per liter)
Danish lager yeast (use a big starter).
Ferment at 48 to 50 for four or five days, then a diacetyl rest, then down to lagering temps for a few weeks.

A very refreshing brew coming in at about 4.3%. More like an Australian lager than an American one, but quaffing beers in 105 degree popcorn fart dryness is what Aussie lagers are all about.

Good looking recipes. Mashing 60 minutes? 60 minute boil?

What fermentation temps and for how long?

Thanks

Yeah, i fine crush with a bag so mash for 30-45 min for 75% efficiency. Just mash whatever your typical mash length is. My mash length depends on how much time I need for cleanup and to get the hops ready.

boil for 90 minutes due to the pils.

Fermentation is still pretty standard fast ferment. Start in the 50-52*F range for 3 days (my chamber has a PID that reads Celsius, so I start at 11*C), than ramp up to low 60s by the end of week 2. I bump mine in 1*C increments so its like 2.5-3*F every two days. The idea is that you get the clean lager character at the low temp through at least 70-75% attenuation, which occurs in the first few days. After that, bumping the temp helps keep the yeast going to maximize attenuation (and ultimately up to a diacetyl rest by the end).

Cold crash, keg, carbonate to condition. Avoid drinking it all before it really smooths out after 3 weeks :)

Back