Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Fresh/wet hopped beer ideas

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-06-2013, 11:34 PM   #31
gometz
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 84 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 72

Quote:
Originally Posted by funnycreature View Post
I can help you with this part - simply divide the weight of hops by a factor of 5-8 (whatever you choose) and enter that. That's how I did it. I also adjusted the %AA in my wet hop to the middle of the range. Hope that helps and happy brewing!
I just talked to the guys at my LHBS and they mentioned that the fresh hops they have in stock have more of a 2:1 ratio. It all depends on just how fresh the hops are, the fresher the hop, the more water weight it will contain.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2013, 01:58 PM   #32
Unferth
Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by gometz View Post
I just talked to the guys at my LHBS and they mentioned that the fresh hops they have in stock have more of a 2:1 ratio. It all depends on just how fresh the hops are, the fresher the hop, the more water weight it will contain.
Maybe your LHBS dried the hops? All that I've read, here and elsewhere, says that one should use fresh hops very soon after picking... like days if not hours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottWa View Post
Hops - all freshly picked (bagged & frozen for a few days) Centennial

16oz x 60-90 minutes - haven't decided how long I'll boil
12oz x 30min
5oz x 15min
5oz x 10min
5oz x 5min
5oz x 0min

I may dry hop with a few oz of some of the Cents that I dried as well.

I know most say to use a general bittering hop but I decided I wanted the entire beer to be made all fresh whole hops
thats a lot of hops!

2 things come to mind:

1) you can play with the ratio numbers all you like, that is going to be a high IBU beer. 10 or so lbs of malt would not be enough malt background for me. I would push it up into the IIPA range, like 1.075, 1.080 or even higher. Just my Cents on the matter (pun intended).

2) less important and more to preference. I have started cutting the 30 minute hop additions. I don't feel like I get any flavor or aroma from those additions and they are not really contributing too much to the bitterness. A lot of people do them though, so I guess its personal preference.

Those are my thoughts, I hope they help you out some.

Old 09-08-2013, 03:21 AM   #33
bannerj
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

I believe he put in value of each hop for them as wet, so 16 oz would be just under 1 oz...depending on how fresh.

My hops dry very quickly here in our current weather. I was doing 4/5:1 approx with hops 1-3 hours off the bine. Worked well for me.

Old 09-08-2013, 01:49 PM   #34
funnycreature
Beer Crafter, Metalhead \m/
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 165 Times on 138 Posts
Likes Given: 485

Word of caution - I used gelatin to cold crash my APA for a couple of days after a second dry hopping. It was really clear but all the hops flavor and aroma seems to have disappeared. The yeast cake smelled wonderfully. I am really sad and hope it will still taste good.

Check out my wife's etsy store where she offers soaps made with my beer!

Old 09-09-2013, 01:27 PM   #35
dhutchings
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 13

This morning I headed outside to see a bunch of extra hops on the bine left over after the harvest. Either I missed a bunch or there's been new growth. What I picked looked and felt mature, though.

At any rate, I've got another 1.6 oz Fresh that have just gone in as a dry hopping addition.

Old 09-09-2013, 03:18 PM   #36
Unferth
Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by funnycreature View Post
Word of caution - I used gelatin to cold crash my APA for a couple of days after a second dry hopping. It was really clear but all the hops flavor and aroma seems to have disappeared. The yeast cake smelled wonderfully. I am really sad and hope it will still taste good.
Oh dear. I hope so too. I think it always smells different out of the bottle than out if the carboy anyway.

Very timely warning however. I'm getting ready to rack off of my hops today and was considering adding gelatin. Not now.

Old 09-09-2013, 04:15 PM   #37
funnycreature
Beer Crafter, Metalhead \m/
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 165 Times on 138 Posts
Likes Given: 485

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unferth View Post
Oh dear. I hope so too. I think it always smells different out of the bottle than out if the carboy anyway.

Very timely warning however. I'm getting ready to rack off of my hops today and was considering adding gelatin. Not now.
I've used gelatin before for my Kölsch but since it doesn't have lots of flavors to begin with I didn't notice any difference. Glad someone can learn from my mistakes

I'll be brewing another iteration of my "Pure Hopsocaust" double IPA this weekend with lots of pellet hops to have something hoppy again

Check out my wife's etsy store where she offers soaps made with my beer!

Old 09-09-2013, 06:39 PM   #38
ScottWa
Recipes 

So I brewed on Sat. and was very concerned about my final volume so I was pretty stuck on having 7.5 gal starting volume in the kettle, which I got. I was concerned that all the freshies would soak up more juice than they actually did. Anyway, I only did a 60 min boil and did use all 3 pounds of fresh Cents (that's actually what I named the beer too). I have just a bit under 6 gal in the fermenter, OG was about 1.054 if I remember right and it smells amazing! I don't necessarily have plans to dry hop, though I can, but I will cold crash it once I feel that fermentation is nearly over. I may also experiment with yeast washing after I transfer as well.

Old 09-14-2013, 04:17 PM   #39
gometz
Recipes 

Liked 84 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unferth View Post
Maybe your LHBS dried the hops? All that I've read, here and elsewhere, says that one should use fresh hops very soon after picking... like days if not hours.
Ya that's what I was thinking too, but being all the way down in Texas most likely hurts my chances of getting REAL wet hops. Still hoping to stumble across a fellow homebrewer in the area on here who grows their own that I could buy/trade.

Old 09-14-2013, 04:26 PM   #40
ong
Recipes 

Liked 88 Times on 67 Posts

Just brewed up a pretty simple pale ale with MO, a bit of crystal 40 and honey malt, and around 2lbs of fresh Nugget as the only hop (the whole harvest from my 2nd year Nugget plant), including a nice long hop stand at around 140. Smelled great -- excited to see how it comes out! I dried the last 5 or 6 oz of Nugget to dry hop with.

Oregonians: trade canned goods, homebrew, fresh produce, and more at chowswap.org!

Quick Reply