FRESH or DRIED

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scooner

Reaction score
G'day,
I was wondering what is better to use fresh orange peel
or dried orange peel ?

Also how much of each in a 20 Ltr / 5 gal batch ?

Thanks to all, who help.

Fresh is always better in my opinion. Maybe an ounce to start. I'd rather have not enough then way too much and ruin my hard work.

The dried tastes different from fresh. In the dried there's a sweet and a bitter variety, so watch out. The sweet tastes better than the bitter.

I prefer fresh. Just make sure not to cut into the white pith. It is very bitter and not in a good way. Just grate the orange material, nothing else.

Add 5 minutes before flame-out, but may still be too long. Maybe better during a hop stand (150-170°F). I think you can "dry-hop" with fresh zest too, but I haven't tried that yet.

I've also boiled some for 1/2 hour to obtain a different, deeper flavor profile, but I wouldn't recommend it in general.

I've read using coriander seeds (Indian store) actually creates more orange flavor than zest does. Do a search.

Back