Fremont Summer Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlkiBrewing

Reaction score
Need a little help here. The Fremont Brewery in Seattle is a small brewery that produces some excellent beers. My current favorite is their Summer Ale. The recipe consists of only two ingredients, pale 2 row and Amarillo hops. Obviously this beer is all about showcasing the hops, it has a very pronounced citrusy aroma. I've never brewed a beer using only two ingredients. I'm trying to figure out the hop utilization/schedule. Would you add the hops toward the end of the boil, @ flameout, dry hop or not? Hoping some of you guys with more AG experience could give me some tips/advise.

Cheers,
Terry

I and a couple others actually made an attempt at this one last year and the thread is here: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f37/sharing-my-simple-summer-pale-ale-recipe-253745/index3.html

Matt Lincecum actually chimed in on this thread which was awesome of him. Hope this helps!

Sorry I didn't answer the email about the recipe...sadly, that happens. So many hours in the day and too many tasks. Either way, as a long time home brewer gone pro, I can understand the desire to hear about the recipe. We try to post all relevant info about our beers so folks can recreate them at home but I know we could add more...now only if someone could find about 300 kegs and grain out and go to an event and do payroll for me?

So, the recipe is simple with Great Western Pale malt and Amarillo hops. Gravity is 13 Plato with 44 IBUs. We bias toward late addition of hops right before the end of the boil so I would add 1/3 of the hops at beginning of the boil and the rest right at the end. Add the total of the boil hop weight in a dry hop addition and pitch with a lot of your favorite yeast. Our house yeast started out as Wyeast Thames Valley Ale and is a good all around yeast. I would also use 1056 or 1028 for some fun but try what you like, such as the German Ale yeast.

I'm happy to answer questions about our beer and please forgive me if I don't answer them all. Brewing beer and building a company while trying to be a good Dad and Husband take time away from beer. but, beer is important...Because Beer Matters.

Cheers,

Matt Lincecum

Cheers

Thanks guys. I'll be brewing an ag batch of this and will post my recipe and results when I do.

Well now, with 2 ingredients only, kind of makes easy.

Use BeerSmith to put in ”pale 2 row” so it gets to the expected 5.2% for the batch size you wish to make. For the hops? ( guessing 5 gal batch ) Mmm I would add .5oz of the Amarillo hops for 60 min and 2.0oz for 1 min then let steep for 5 min, and use a WYeast 1056 American Ale.

Ty, I brewed this last summer and got pretty close, didn't quite have the hop nose I was looking for. Your recipe won't open/display for some reason. I'd like to see it, particularly your hop schedule. Could you post it? Thanks.

Latest posts

Back