First Oktoberfest recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smbrwn1

Reaction score
Hey everyone. I'm making my first Oktoberfest next weekend and wanted to get some feedback on my recipe. I'm trying to make something fairly malty but still appealing to the masses. Let me know what you think.

Batch Vol: 5.5 g
OG: 1.054
FG: 1.016
Mash @ 154 - 60min
90 min boil
26 IBU

5 lbs Pilsner
4 lbs Munich
1 lb Vienna
12 oz C60
10 oz Melanoiden
2 oz Biscuit

1.1 oz Hallertau - 60m
.75 oz Tettnang - 15m

WLP820 - Oktoberfest lager yeast

Thanks for the help!

I think you'll get enough melanoidens with the Munich and Vienna malts, so I don't think its needed. That's all personal preference though. My last OF grain bill was:
3lb German pils
4lb German dark Munich 10L
4lb Vienna
1lb Franco belges Caramel Munich60

Its still lagering but the samples have been very very good.

Overall it looks OK but if you want opinions here they are: Agree with Tim on the melanoiden. I would also lose the biscuit malt. Two ounces will just get lost and with the base of Munich, Vienna and pils malt it's superfluous. My preference in this style is to not use any crystal malt. If you do choose to use it I would suggest going with a German type rather than domestic. For the mash temp I'd bring it down. German lagers want a slightly dry and clean finish. Try 148-150F.

Back