First AG - Critique my Honey Nut Brown

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wrench001

Reaction score
I have not tried this yet, planning on it within the next month. This will be my first AG attempt. Up to this point I have done mostly extract with specialty grains and a couple mini mash brews. Any comments/sugestions on the recipe would be appreciated.

Code:
Recipe: Honey Nut Brown AG
Brewer: Joe
Asst Brewer: 
Style: Northern English Brown Ale
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (0.0) 

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.50 gal      
Boil Size: 7.39 gal
Estimated OG: 1.044 SG
Estimated Color: 17.9 SRM
Estimated IBU: 25.0 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 65.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount        Item                                      Type         % or IBU      
8 lbs         Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM)          Grain        80.00 %       
8.0 oz        Brown Malt (65.0 SRM)                     Grain        5.00 %        
8.0 oz        Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM)     Grain        5.00 %        
8.0 oz        Special Roast (50.0 SRM)                  Grain        5.00 %        
4.0 oz        Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM)                Grain        2.50 %        
4.0 oz        Honey Malt (25.0 SRM)                     Grain        2.50 %        
1.50 oz       Fuggles [4.50 %]  (60 min)                Hops         23.4 IBU      
0.50 oz       Fuggles [4.50 %]  (5 min)                 Hops         1.6 IBU       
0.50 tsp      Yeast Nutrient (Boil 15.0 min)            Misc                       
1.00 items    Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 min)          Misc                       
1 Pkgs        British Ale (White Labs #WLP005) [Starter Yeast-Ale                  

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 10.00 lb
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Step Time     Name               Description                         Step Temp     
60 min        Mash In            Add 12.50 qt of water at 165.9 F    154.0 F       

Notes:
------
2 Batch sparges with 3 gallons each at 170 F
Assumed 65% efficiency as this is my fist AG brew

When I made the jump to AG, I was stepping away from extract+specialty grains and now had all kinds of new grains available to me for use that I never had used before.

I was afraid of trying to do too much... adding too many new variables all at once... so I opted to brew a simple pale ale that was just 2-row and some crystal. I wanted to be able to tell what might be my problem in the event that the beer did not turn out like I had hoped.

Since I had used crystal a lot in my extract brews, this basically meant I was focusing on the mashing and lautering of 2-row.

I'm not saying anything is wrong with your recipe or your plan... I just wanted to give the perspective of someone who had also been through the "I am going to try my first AG batch" situation and what my thoughts were going in to that effort.

(BTW: my 1st AG was great)

EDIT: I had also assumed about 65% for my first AG efficiency since I was going in blind, but I ended up with closer to 75%.

Wow, that looks really tasty. The only thing is that I'd up the amount of honey malt to 5 or 6 ounces for a bit more honey character, or throw in some crystal 15 or so, to add some more sweetness.

Wow, that looks really tasty. The only thing is that I'd up the amount of honey malt to 5 or 6 ounces for a bit more honey character, or throw in some crystal 15 or so, to add some more sweetness.

Does the honey malt add much in the way of aroma? I would really like to get that honey smell in there if possible.

Back