Feedback Needed: AG Galaxy/Nelson IIPA (50/50 split on base malt)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slightlyoffbeat

Reaction score
I have galaxy hops lying around and I've been wanting to try mixing them with nelson for a while now. This is the recipe I've created, but I'd love some feedback. Especially on the grain bill. I've been thinking about trying a 50/50 split with MO and 2R for a base on an IIPA so I figured I'd try with this recipe.

I'm going to brew this weekend. Thanks for any feedback!

###Name: Hop Pun
##Style: IIPA
##Brew Method: All Grain
Batch Size: 5.5
Brewhouse Efficiency: 68

OG: 1.075
FG: 1.010
SRM: 8
IBU: 120
EST ABV: 8.6%

--------------------
##Fermentables

* 7 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US
* 7 lbs Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM)
* 12oz Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM)
* 12oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 30L (30.0 SRM)
* 8oz Corn Sugar (Dextrose)

##Yeast
San Diego Super Yeast

##Notes / Brew Schedule

Mash @ 150F for 90 min.

* 0.75 oz Columbus (Tomohawk) [13.00 %] - FWH (90)
* 0.75 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] - Boil 60
* 0.50 oz Galaxy [14.00 %] - Boil 15.0 min
* 0.50 oz Nelson Sauvin [12.00 %] - Boil 15.0 min
* 0.50 oz Galaxy [14.00 %] - Boil 10.0 min
* 0.50 oz Nelson Sauvin [12.00 %] - Boil 10.0 min
* 0.75 oz Galaxy [14.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min
* 0.75 oz Nelson Sauvin [12.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min
* 2.00 oz Galaxy [14.00 %] - Boil 0.0 min
* 2.00 oz Nelson Sauvin [12.00 %] - Boil 0.0 min

-------------------
##Fermentation
###Primary:
Ferment @ 65* for ~1 week

###Secondary:

~2 weeks. Dry hop for 6 days, cold crash, etc:

* 1.50 oz Galaxy [14.00 %]
* 1.50 oz Nelson Sauvin [12.00 %]
* 0.50 oz Simcoe [13.00 %]

Love the recipe man! The only part I would considering omitting would be the Carapils. Given the 3/4 lb of C-30 and 1/2 lb of sugar, you'll still have good body that's not too thin especially with the 50/50 split of 2-row and MO (MO should give you a back malt backbone for this). Definitely interested in seeing how this one comes out. Keep us posted man! Cheers!

Looks like a great beer. Galaxy/Nelson is my favorite hop combo and I've done a number of beers with it that were very similar to yours. And as the the other guy said, I'd recommend dropping the cara-pils too. You could also drop the C30L and not miss it.

Regarding the hopping, the schedule looks spot on, although I have found that the character from the Nelson can slightly overpower the Galaxy when used 1:1. I've been dialing back the ratio some - in favor of more Galaxy - and I think the balance is better. Also, I like the Simcoe in the dry hopping. Good luck!

Backing up bierhaus, Nelson will overpower the Galaxy in your recipe. Consider dialing back the amount, or just use Galaxy for the last couple of additions to get a more balanced beer.

Thanks guys! I've adjusted my hop ratio and schedule a bit from the feedback. I'll udpate in a month or so with tasting notes :)

Dan

Thanks guys! I've adjusted my hop ratio and schedule a bit from the feedback. I'll udpate in a month or so with tasting notes :)

Also bumped the cara pils down to 6oz. I probably should have just dropped it, but the grain is already milled.

Cheers,

Dan

Latest posts

Back