Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > ESB Question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-13-2008, 12:32 PM   #1
Pelikan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default ESB Question

I've been looking at ESB recipes, and because I like hops so much, I figured I'd give one a try.

Fast forward to last night: I'm at a friend's house, and notice he has Fuller's ESB in the fridge. He let's me try one. It was okay in the sense that I didn't particularly like or dislike it, but there was an overwhelming and unusual taste to it that I found somewhat off-putting.

Can anyone enlighten me with regards to the Fuller's ESB, and particularly what is used to arrive at that unique taste (so I can avoid it). I want to say it was an almost medicinal taste, but that might not be an entirely accurate way of describing it.

On a brewing hiatus. Will get back into the fray eventually, methinks...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2008, 12:55 PM   #2
Laughing_Gnome_Invisible
Recipes 

Liked 510 Times on 393 Posts
Likes Given: 76

I can't think of a single commercial bitter that cans or bottles well compared to how it tastes as a draught cask ale (or bottle conditioned) For my two cents I just wouldn't be put off by the commercial version and just go ahead and brew it. It will most likely be a ton better than what you had in that bottle.

Steven Hawking ~ As we say in science, the England football team couldn’t hit a cow’s arse with a banjo

Old 11-13-2008, 02:52 PM   #3
TeleTwanger
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

was it cotton candy? marmalade?

Up next: The Bestist Bitter
Bottled: Blackout IPA

"Ooo Pretzels and Bier!"-Heidi Klum

Last edited by TeleTwanger; 11-13-2008 at 02:58 PM.

Old 11-13-2008, 02:56 PM   #4
Laughing_Gnome_Invisible
Recipes 

Liked 510 Times on 393 Posts
Likes Given: 76

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeleTwanger View Post
was it cotton candy?
Nah, I'm pretty sure he was talking about ESB. j/k

Steven Hawking ~ As we say in science, the England football team couldn’t hit a cow’s arse with a banjo

Old 11-13-2008, 03:06 PM   #5
TeleTwanger
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I think it's diacetyl. I've had draught London Pride that was really sweet, cotton candy tasting...If you want to get that unique flavor ship your homebrew to England and then go there yourself and drink it.
The recipe I've got for thier ESB is pretty standard for English bitter: Marris Otter, crystal, target, challenger, goldings.

Old 11-14-2008, 05:27 PM   #6
Pelikan
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Yeah, it could have been cotten candy, not quite sure. I've tried many, many different beers over the years, and don't think I've ever had one like that. As I mentioned, it wasn't overtly bad, but it wasn't really good either.

Old 11-15-2008, 04:43 PM   #7
TeleTwanger
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelikan View Post
Yeah, it could have been cotten candy, not quite sure. I've tried many, many different beers over the years, and don't think I've ever had one like that. As I mentioned, it wasn't overtly bad, but it wasn't really good either.
Seriously don't dismiss Fuller's, I've had awesome ones but most are sub-par due to travelling. Were talking one of the most famous and well regarded British breweries of all time. I live like 6 hours from Dogfish Head brewery and only about 1 out of 10 of the ones I drink have a decent hop aroma. When I lived on the West Coast I would drink Anchor and Lagunitas all the time but the ones I get here on the East Coast pale in comparison to the fresh ones.

Old 11-18-2008, 01:30 AM   #8
Pelikan
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeleTwanger View Post
Seriously don't dismiss Fuller's, I've had awesome ones but most are sub-par due to travelling. Were talking one of the most famous and well regarded British breweries of all time. I live like 6 hours from Dogfish Head brewery and only about 1 out of 10 of the ones I drink have a decent hop aroma. When I lived on the West Coast I would drink Anchor and Lagunitas all the time but the ones I get here on the East Coast pale in comparison to the fresh ones.
I don't know where you're shoppin,' but every 90 minute IPA I've ever had was a benchmark in terms of hop aroma.

I'm certainly not dismissing Fullers as a brewery or as a whole, but the beer I tried from them just wasn't for me at all. It was a really funny mix of good and bad...the flavors weren't so much gray as black and white. I've since tried it on tap at a local bar and same deal. It could very well be the traveling time, but I won't be ordering it again, at least not stateside.

Quick Reply