ESB hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dry hopping an ESB is fine if you use restraint - .5oz to 1oz (absolute max) for a 5gal batch. ...and a little cascade really punches up a late goldings addition. Don't use too much that it tastes american, just enough to enhance the fruitiness. eg. if your late addition is 1oz of goldings try 0.8oz goldings + 0.2oz cascade.

Interesting comment about dry-hopping the cask. I think I may try that with this batch. What do you think? An ounce in 5 gal. 3 days before kegging?

Cheers!

Did you try it yet?

I just pulled a hydrometer sample and it came out clean. I'm going to try an ounce of EKG as a dry hop and then keg it after 5 days. I'll let you know what I think.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Did you try it yet?

I just pulled a hydrometer sample and it came out clean. I'm going to try an ounce of EKG as a dry hop and then keg it after 5 days. I'll let you know what I think.

Not yet, at least not with the ECB I mentioned. That one will go into the keg in another day or two.

However, I did try it on a Cream Ale that I felt lost a little aroma due to using gelatin for finings. 1/2 oz. of Mt Hood and a marble hanging in a hops bag from the keg lid. It took a few days but I do think it helped give back some of the aroma that had been missing.

I'd like to know how it turned out for you.

Just tapped my keg today. The beer came out delicious. I didn't get as much aroma as I anticipated from the dry hop but I highly recommend doing it. This may need to be brewed a few more times for summer.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I didn't do a dry hop of this batch of ECB but will probably try it on the next batch. I don't mind making changes that improve a regular "house beer" if they add something and I'm thinking dry hopping may do that. But this one came out exactly as the last ones and I'm very pleased. A very drinkable beer that one can just enjoy and not spend a lot of time discussing or fussing over.

Latest posts

Back