Dunkelweizen recipe (Too much Munich?)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrgstiffler

Reaction score
I looked up the guidelines for Dunkelweizen and found this:

Ingredients: By German law, at least 50% of the grist must be malted wheat, although some versions use up to 70%; the remainder is usually Munich and/or Vienna malt. A traditional decoction mash gives the appropriate body without cloying sweetness. Weizen ale yeasts produce the typical spicy and fruity character, although extreme fermentation temperatures can affect the balance and produce off-flavors. A small amount of noble hops are used only for bitterness.

That to me says that at least 50% of the base malt should be wheat and the rest should be Munich or Vienna. A lot of the recipes I see typically have high amounts of wheat and Pilsner malts and low or no Munich. Is there a specific reason for this? Makes me think I may have included too much in my 6 gallon recipe. I am thinking about upping the CaraAroma too.

Code:
Fermentables
German Wheat Malt	 6lb 8oz	 55.0 %	 1.5	 In Mash/Steeped
German Munich Malt	 4lb 8oz	 38.1 %	 3.9	 In Mash/Steeped
German CaraAroma	 8.00 oz	 4.2 %	 10.3	 In Mash/Steeped
German Carafa SP III	 5.00 oz	 2.6 %	 26.0	 In Mash/Steeped

Hops
German Tettnang	 4.1 %	 1.00 oz	 12.6	 Loose Whole Hops	FWH

Yeast
Wyeast 3068-Weihenstephen Weizen

I say brew it!! (but I love me some Munich)
If you're worried it will be too much, maybe drop the specialty grains and see how you like it w/ just the wheat and Munich?

Too much Munich in a dunkel is not a problem. I did one with 1/2 wheat, 1/2 Munich with 1/4 lb of pale choc that was delish. It’s one of the recipes in the database. I forget who posted it but it got good reviews.

Latest posts

Back