New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Drink more Mild!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2010, 11:14 PM   #21
rexbanner
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 94 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob View Post
I <3 Mild. I'm out. I really really need to brew some more, as I've got none in the current pipeline.

Here's the recipe, if you're interested.

Why aren't more people interested in Mild? Because we're Americans, where everything has to be bigger faster louder MORE, including beer styles. Because the vast majority of people think anything less than a flavor bomb (or 8% ABV) is automatically "Meh". Look at the portfolios of most packaging microbreweries.

The beers everyone gets moist panties over are the big ones. When's the last time you heard someone rave over Dogfish Head's Lawnmower (22)? Hell, over Shelter Pale Ale (63)? As opposed to 90 Minute (100) or World Wide Stout (100), of course. When's the last time you saw someone rave over Victory's Helles Lager (79) instead of Storm King (100) or St Victorious (93)?

Numbers in parentheses are from www.ratebeer.com ratings. Look at the review texts, too. If reviewers are indicative of beer enthusiasts, we're all a bunch of nouveau riche idiots who can't tell a good beer if you put neon signs around it flashing "This is a good beer, you moron!" If it isn't so full of flavor that it could rouse a corpse, it's lousy.

There's a story about supposed connoisseurs who were trying to tell vintages of port given them by the butler. One said it was this vintage, another that. The argument was quite heated until the butler told them it was the cheap swill from the pub. (I forget where I read that. Christie?)

In case you can't tell, this is a real hot button for me. Classic beer styles are dropping away from the spotlight - if not actually dying, like Mild - because of popular styles which are only popular because they're so massively flavorful or alcoholic or made with nun's sweat or something.

[sigh]

Cheers,

Bob
I agree somewhat. I tend to like bigger beers because they're generally the same price as smaller beers (more bang for your buck) and because you can sip them at your leisure with a meal (I don't drink wine). Also my two favorite styles are belgian ipa and dubbel.

I mostly brew smaller beers, though. Especially since I got into kegging. I won't spend ~10 bucks for a six-pack of session beer, but I'll gladly brew some. Friends and family find it a little easier on the palate, I find it easier on the wallet, and it keeps keg parties from turning into total ****shows and terrible hangovers. God, the amount of water you have to drink after downing ten high-gravity beers is insane.

Peep my nanobrewery: http://crookedrunbrewing.com

On tap at the brewery:
Logan's Song English pale
Hopsail Belgian single
Hellfire Black IPA
Summer Night raspberry dark saison

Crooked Run Brewing: Traditional ales, local ingredients

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2010, 12:31 AM   #22
electric_beer
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I LOVE milds. I have one in the secondary right now and this weekend I'm going to do a partigyle with a barlywine so I'll have 5 gallons of of ordinary bitter! I honestly just hope I like the barlywine enough...

I rarely brew ANYTHING over 6%. My house doesn't really care for the EXTREME beers, which I'm totally fine with.

Old 10-12-2010, 08:49 AM   #23
patto1ro
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bierhaus15 View Post
Anyone have any good dark mild recipes or suggestions?? I was thinking for next week doing something with Mild/Brown malt and using WY1469.
I've a recipe for Lee Best Mild from 1952 here:

http://barclayperkins.blogspot.com/2010/07/lets-brew-wednesday-1952-lees-best-mild.html

It's got an interesting grist with a mixture of crystal, chocolate, brown, black and pale malt.

Old 10-12-2010, 10:27 AM   #24
Bru
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Ive got a mild Mild on tap. 1.027 to 1.008. Slightly too mild. Next time I will go for about 1.035 to 1.010. But its excellent. I bought a couple of 1L jugs specially for it. I call it Lawnmower Mild - perfect for drinking while watching the gardener mow the lawn on a hot summers day.

Old 10-12-2010, 12:15 PM   #25
MrLucky13
Recipes 

Mild is one of my favorite styles. I need to brew one again. Glad it being talked about. I started brewing last year and just picked it as one to brew. Now its always in a keg or a bottle.

Kegged: Cattail

Old 10-12-2010, 01:04 PM   #26
carrotmalt
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I've been interested in brewing a mild for some time now. I came across Orfy's Mild Mannered Ale thread and love that it's ready to drink so quickly. What worries me is that it says it needs to be enjoyed while young and that it goes down hill pretty quickly.

I'd keep one on tap all the time if it'll maintain flavor for several months, but if it won't last I'm hesitant to brew one. What's everyone's take on how well a mild ages?

I like a little more beer in my beer.

Old 10-12-2010, 01:28 PM   #27
ArcaneXor
Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrotmalt View Post

I'd keep one on tap all the time if it'll maintain flavor for several months, but if it won't last I'm hesitant to brew one. What's everyone's take on how well a mild ages?
It doesn't age particularly well, but it's certainly not a bad beer to drink after a couple of months. But it's also one of those beers you can enjoy all day long without getting hammered, so the kegs tend to not last very long at all.

If you want something that ages a little better, just brew the mild's big brother, the brown porter.
Secondary: Flanders Red I
Kegged: 3 different ciders, Janet's Brown, Barrel-aged Stout, Hallertau Blanc Pale Ale
Bottled: Flanders Red I

Old 10-12-2010, 04:41 PM   #28
bierhaus15
Recipes 

Liked 71 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by patto1ro View Post
I've a recipe for Lee Best Mild from 1952 here:

http://barclayperkins.blogspot.com/2010/07/lets-brew-wednesday-1952-lees-best-mild.html

It's got an interesting grist with a mixture of crystal, chocolate, brown, black and pale malt.
I think I found my recipe! Though funny thing I was looking through your Let's Brew articles yesterday and I didn't see this one. However, the recipe calls for Invert no 1. I assume that is a dark sugar syrup? Can I buy that or reproduce it at home?

Thanks!

Edit: I see Lyles Golden Syrup listed as a possible substitute, though I don't think I can get that around me. I've looked for it in the past with no luck.

Old 05-27-2012, 02:42 AM   #29
cwhouston
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Chase - I've just acquired wheeler's book too and I'd love to hear what you make of some of the mild or other recipes you have tried. Reckon others would too. cheers

Old 05-27-2012, 03:13 AM   #30
Bradinator
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I love milds. Love them. I always have them a mild in some form in my pipeline. Mild = More beers in one evening. Beer = Good. It's simple math people. Drink more milds.

Orfy's is the starting point for all my mild recipes, though that Lees-best has peeked my interest. I think I may shelf my next planned brew for it!

"There is only two ways do to something; The smart way or the hard way."

"Beer is pretty resilient stuff, its resistant to human stupidity"

Bradinator's Brews

Quick Reply