Crunching numbers question?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PurpleJeepXJ

Ah... Leafy Goodness
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I use a cheap free brew calculator and am wondering if it compensates for my addition of 2gal to cool the wort. Here is my recipe:
7gal Batch
5gal Boil
OG 1.056
FG 1.014
SRM 12
IBU 43.8

9# Amber LME
1# Amber DME
1# Crystal 40L
1oz Magnum 14AA @60
1oz Amarillo 10AA @15
1oz Amarillo 10AA @5

If someone with better software could check this it would be great. I just want to know if my OG will be lowered by the addition of 2gal of water or if the program already compensates for it since it knows it is a 5gal boil and a 7gal batch?

well I start off with 5gal of water, maybe an extra quart for evaporation, and steep my grain up to the boil. Pull the grain and add the LME. Bring back to a boil and start my countdown. By adding 2gal of water at the end of the boil to cool the wort it gives me a total yield of 7gal. Is that not the right terms? I am always open to learning.

Yeah, you don't have it right. You need to begin with the end in mind and that end is 5 gallons to ferment. If you plan on using 2 gallons at the end to cool the wort, you need to plan on having 3 gallons at the end of the boil, which means you would want to start with about 4 gallons. This is still a Partial Boil.

If you want to do a full boil, you will have to have another method of cooling your wort that does not include adding any additional water. An immersion chiller would be your best bet.

So back to your first question.

I just want to know if my OG will be lowered by the addition of 2gal of water

If adding it to 5 gallons? Yes it will lower it. By the math it would be 1.040ish. The OG mentioned in the recipe is for 5 gallons.

7gal Batch
5gal Boil

For some reason, I could not bring myself to read that accurately. Sorry that I missed that. I still read it as 7 gal boil 5 gal batch. Talk about dyslexic......

Back