Critique my Spaghetti Wheat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Spaghetti Wheat

Batch Size: 6 gal
Boil Size: 7 gal
Estimated OG: 1.046
Estimated FG: 1.012
Estimated IBU: 14 IBU
Estimated Color: 3 SRM
Estimated ABV: 4.4%
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
6 lb 2 Row
3 lb Pasta
1 lb Quick Oats
.5 lb Brown Rice

1 oz Hallertau (60 min)
0.25 oz Williamette (60 min)

1 oz Orange Zest
1 oz Crushed Coriander

American Wheat Yeast

Precook the pasta and simmer 1 hour; drain the pasta, saving water for the mash.
Mash the pasta, oats, and rice with 2 Row in 3.25 gallons water at 155° for 90 minutes.
Boil hops 60 minutes; add coriander and orange zest with 10 minutes left in the boil.

I should be able to give this a go tomorrow...insert funny spaghetti rapture name here :drunk:

First attempt was fail..

After simmering the spaghetti, the noodles are so over-soaked that I can't fit them in my pot with the required amount of water and still be able to fit the grains. I've decided to cut my losses and regroup, try again next weekend when I have more time. I'm out $4 in spaghetti, not too bad.

I'll be using 6lb 2row with only 2 or 3 pounds of spaghetti on my next attempt.

IMO and IME you want the noodles overcooked...hah...aldente might be hard to convert. How big is your pot? 5 gal at least I hope?

ps I never drained the pasta, just mashed thick and added the whole pasta mess to the mash...either way will work...oh and why the rice???? I think you made the right call not trying to mash 5+ pounds of "adjunct" w/ three pounds of malted barley. :mug:

I applaud your efforts none the less!

Mash went well, just started the boil. I'll post gravity as soon as I get a chance to calculate it.

Ingredients Lined up:
IMG_32231.JPG

Used grain bag to cook spaghetti this time:
IMG_3207.JPG

Pasta is just about ready:
IMG_32181.JPG

Lowered grain bag to make room for grains:
IMG_3211.JPG

Yeast/trub from a hefeweizen I'll be using as the starter:
IMG_32202.JPG

Small pot was too small for everything:
IMG_3233.JPG

So I used the medium pot:
IMG_32351.JPG

Draining grainbag over mash-tun:
IMG_32441.JPG

Soaking grainbag in boil kettle:
IMG_3248.JPG

pre-boil gravity(7 gallons) was 1.035...the sample had a definite sweet-wheaty taste to it...like cream of wheat...spaghetti rapture cream of wheat?

Just dumped the yeast trub from my hefeweizen onto this batch after cooling overnight. Bottling in 3 or 4 weeks.

Please give us an update!! I'm pretty fired up to see how this turns out. :D

Finally bottling this after 7 weeks in primary....I had lots of things come up recently. I'll post pics soon.

somehow I ended up not taking pics of this. It actually turned out quite well. So far it's my father-in-laws favorite beer I've ever made. I didn't like it at first, so I stuck all the bottles in my garage for about 3 weeks. I told him I was gonna give it away and he insisted I give most of it to him, which I did. At the same time I stuck the 2Liter bottle I had filled into my fridge. After hearing his reviews, I popped open the 2L last night and carefully decanted it into a glass pitcher....this stuff was goooood.

It tasted like all the good qualities I enjoy in a commercial light beer, with none of the bad. Definitely gonna work on this recipe and perfect the usage of pasta in beer. The one thing I won't do again is try to cereal mash brown rice..this nearly ruined this recipe, and destroyed another recipe.

So all things considered, this turned into a great batch of beer for dirt-cheap...with the right amount of aging. I'm not sure what the 3 weeks in my garage with temps ranging from 70-100+ degrees did to it, or whether that affected the taste or not. I would assume it did, but I have no idea how.

I just realized I stuck a 32 of this in my fridge the same time I put the 2L in there:

PastaWheat.JPG

:mug:

Hah! I just opened up the last 2L of this last week. The cap had 'PW' on it, it took me a while to figure out it was this(pasta wheat). It's been sitting in my 90°+ garage for the last 4 years. It was definitely beer, but it wasn't worth finishing. I had half a pint before dumping it on my lawn.

Hah! I just opened up the last 2L of this last week. The cap had 'PW' on it, it took me a while to figure out it was this(pasta wheat). It's been sitting in my 90°+ garage for the last 4 years. It was definitely beer, but it wasn't worth finishing. I had half a pint before dumping it on my lawn.

Please post later and let us know how the lawn's doing.

ok ok ok ok waaaait a second...I just found a lost and forgotten stash of beers from 4+ years ago, some of them are Pasta Wheat...so of course I crack one open and I'm enjoying it warm. Maybe the thin plastic of the 2L bottle wasn't appropriate for bulk aging? I stuck one of them in the fridge to try chilled tomorrow...the smell of it is very familiar, like an old fling that's back in town for the night..

20150719_192621.jpg

20150719_192627.jpg

It's easily the clearest homebrew I've ever poured
20150719_192957.jpg

Back