The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Critique my recipe....

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-17-2009, 03:57 PM   #1
stagstout
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Critique my recipe....

Guys,
Basically I just threw this together on a whim and looking for some....what the h#ll are you doing advice, if any.

I plan on making this, just cause I'm curious as to what it will taste like, but would like the recipe to be within it's style range.

So let the scolding begin

Recipe:

9 lb - Mariss Otter
1 lb - Vienna Malt
1/2 lb - Crystal 40L
1/2 lb - Chocolate Malt
1 lb - Roasted Barley

2 oz - Willamette @ 60 min

1 tbls - Irish Moss @ 10 min

Irish Ale Yeast w/ starter

Mash @ 154 for 60 min.

5 gallon batch

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-17-2009, 05:32 PM   #2
Suthrncomfrt1884
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I looks pretty good actually. I wouldn't add as much Roasted Barley as you've got though. I would keep it under 1/2 lb.

Another HERMS rig...

Old 07-17-2009, 05:49 PM   #3
stagstout
Recipes 

I'm adding extra Roasted Barley to this recipe only because I have used recipes with only 1/2 to 3/4 lbs and always thought it needed more. Maybe it's just me, but I love the roasted flavor.

Old 07-17-2009, 06:41 PM   #4
JLem
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 168 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 4

looks like a good stout. I agree about limiting the roasted barley, but that's just my taste - since you really like the roasted flavor, go for it. The Irish moss is probably not necessary though

Old 07-17-2009, 06:46 PM   #5
mithion
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I kinda agree with Suthrncomfrt1884. I wouldn't add that much roasted barley. If you like toasted, you might want to look on the side of black malt or special B. Roasted barley is more for color than for flavor. Just my 2 cents. You might also want to add some hops around the 20-30 min mark. That will give it a nice hop flavor in addition to pure bitterness.

Primary:
Secondary: Chimay Tripel #1
Conditioning: The Day After Christmas Eve Old Ale, Phil's Classic English #2
Drinking: Irish Rebellion
Next Beer: Earthly Brown

Old 07-17-2009, 07:13 PM   #6
Matt Up North
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I disagree about it being too much roasted barley. He likes it, go with it. It looks to me like a great example of Stout and that is the way I make it as well. I like the look of it and it should be a tasty little fellow. I might only question the gravity. I like my stouts around 1.050, so that is the only small gripe I have about it. I make a stout with 8lbs Maris Otter, 1lb Flaked something, 1lb Chocolate, 1lb Roasted and .5lb Crystal 60L with Willamette as bittering only. Huge roasty, chocolatey flavor and tastes fantastic after a couple of months. Traditional 70-20-10 is always nice (Two Row - Roasted - Flaked)

Mithion, is there a reason that you think of Roasted Barley as just a color enhancer?

Last edited by Matt Up North; 07-17-2009 at 08:10 PM.

Old 07-17-2009, 07:20 PM   #7
stagstout
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithion View Post
I kinda agree with Suthrncomfrt1884. I wouldn't add that much roasted barley. If you like toasted, you might want to look on the side of black malt or special B. Roasted barley is more for color than for flavor. Just my 2 cents. You might also want to add some hops around the 20-30 min mark. That will give it a nice hop flavor in addition to pure bitterness.
What I'm looking for is the coffee like roast flavor and smell. From what I know about black patent malt, it lies on the too bitter side for me. Is special B the same as Special Roast? Maybe this is what I was missing in my other stouts.

I am not opposed to a second hop addition and am favoring towards it now that it was brought up.

What would be your guy's recommendation for a "roated flavor grain # addition" if I were to drop the roasted barley down to 1/2#.

My last stout used 3/4# of roasted barley and 1/2# of chocolate and to me it was a very mellow stout. This was the reason why I bumped up the roasted to a 1 lb.

Ideas?

Old 07-17-2009, 07:21 PM   #8
mithion
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Well, it does contribute to flavor, but roasted barley isn't malted. So when you mash it, you don't extract maltose or other fermentables. You do extract other stuff from it (I don't know the the chemistry of what your extracting), but it's basically burnt grain. It's pretty harsh so I've always seen it used in minute quantities to either add some color, or some very faint roasted flavors. But never in the amounts of 1lbs. But, if he's tried 3/4 lbs and wants more, than let em try it.

Primary:
Secondary: Chimay Tripel #1
Conditioning: The Day After Christmas Eve Old Ale, Phil's Classic English #2
Drinking: Irish Rebellion
Next Beer: Earthly Brown

Old 07-17-2009, 07:30 PM   #9
stagstout
Recipes 

Matt Up North,

The gravity was bumbed up with the idea of sipping this during the cold wisconsin months.

I have thought about adding some flaked barley, but wanted my first batch to be simple and then from there add maybe flaked barley or flaked oatmeal, although I think the oatmeal mellows some of the flavors. Just has been my experience. Not dissing the oatmeal, but for this stout...I want it to wake you up like a strong cup of morning coffee.

Old 07-17-2009, 07:33 PM   #10
Matt Up North
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by stagstout View Post
What I'm looking for is the coffee like roast flavor and smell. From what I know about black patent malt, it lies on the too bitter side for me. Is special B the same as Special Roast? Maybe this is what I was missing in my other stouts.

I am not opposed to a second hop addition and am favoring towards it now that it was brought up.

What would be your guy's recommendation for a "roated flavor grain # addition" if I were to drop the roasted barley down to 1/2#.

My last stout used 3/4# of roasted barley and 1/2# of chocolate and to me it was a very mellow stout. This was the reason why I bumped up the roasted to a 1 lb.

Ideas?
As I mentioned, I have also made a stout that uses equal parts Black Patent and Black Roasted. I like to hit at least 10% for the dark roasted grains. Also, don't forget that Chocolate adds roasted flavor, so you can up that as well. If you hit 15% then it will be like drinking an espresso, which is the style that I go for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithion View Post
Well, it does contribute to flavor, but roasted barley isn't malted. So when you mash it, you don't extract maltose or other fermentables. You do extract other stuff from it (I don't know the the chemistry of what your extracting), but it's basically burnt grain. It's pretty harsh so I've always seen it used in minute quantities to either add some color, or some very faint roasted flavors. But never in the amounts of 1lbs. But, if he's tried 3/4 lbs and wants more, than let em try it.
You are correct tha tyou are aren't getting fermentables, but chew on some Black Roasted and you will get the flavor. It is like eating an espresso bean and we brew stuff out of those all the time. But everyone has different tastes, so make the beer you want to drink

Quick Reply