Critique my first attempt at All grain recipe (Liquid Bliss clone)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abeasst

Reaction score
Critique my first all grain recipe. Below is the recipe I came up with to try and clone Liquid Bliss from Terrapin.

Style: Porter
OG: 1.063
FG: 1.015
ABV: 6.4%
SRM: 35
Batch size: 6.5 gallons

Grain:

12lbs Breiss 2-row pale
3lbs White Wheat Malt
1.25lbs Crystal 80L
.5lb Chocolate Wheat Malt
4oz Chocolate Malt
4oz Bairds Black Malt
.5lb Crystal 120L

Hops:

2oz US Goldings 60 mins
.5oz US Goldings 10 mins

Yeast:

1 vial California Ale

Additions:
.5lb Cacao Nibs - Secondary
1lbs PB powder - Secondary

152F 60min mash
60 min boil

Any thoughts?

PB2? I don't think that many people have that much experience with it. However, I don't think you are going to get the flavor contribution you want from one jar.

I used it once. Created a really odd sediment that would never settle even after 5 months in the bottle and cold crashing. Top of the bottle looked great but, the bottom half looked like mud. Not sure if it was the fault of the PB2 or not.

To me PB2 can have a bit of a vegital taste. I recommend Watkins peanut butter extract. As much as I hate extracts in beer, I have not found a better way to get peanut butter taste.

Rest of the recipe looks solid! Not sure how it will be compared to liquid bliss as I have never had it but, it should be a tasty stout.

Going to be giving this a try soon but I think I'm gonna pass on the peanut butter powder and use PB extract. If anybody has brewed this please let me know how it turned out.

The recipe looks pretty close. The only thing I wouldn't be sure about is the amount of peanut butter to add having never brewed with it.

Has anyone tried this yet?

I've tried it and had very good results. It does take A LOT of pb2 to make a noticeable peanut butter taste in the end. I used a total of 3 bottles of pb2. The first to were the regular peanut butter and the third was the kind with added chocolate. It made a very tasty chocolate and peanut butter beer but tasting it side by side with liquid bliss its definitely different.

How did it turn out? I've been wanting g to brew a chocolate PB porter for a while and got to enjoy Terrapin Liquid Bliss last winter. I'm curious if you ended up using PB2 or an extract?

Back