Converting dry wheat extract to grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oach

Reaction score
Hey All,

I am switching over to all-grain and trying to convert some of my favorite recipes over. Seems to be more challenging than expected. I have a recipe that uses four pounds of dry wheat extract. I threw it into beer smith and it gave me back 4.12# two row and 2.59# wheat at 70% efficiency.

I thought that the DWE was 55%/45% malt to wheat and was expecting the conversion to be in that range somewhere but this is about 60/40 (a little bit more if you do the calculations, but close enough). Does this sound right?

Also, while on wheat, when doing the mash will the create any possible clogging problems getting the wort? If so, how do I counter that?

Thank you for your time and help,
Scot

Hey All,

I am switching over to all-grain and trying to convert some of my favorite recipes over. Seems to be more challenging than expected. I have a recipe that uses four pounds of dry wheat extract. I threw it into beer smith and it gave me back 4.12# two row and 2.59# wheat at 70% efficiency.

I thought that the DWE was 55%/45% malt to wheat and was expecting the conversion to be in that range somewhere but this is about 60/40 (a little bit more if you do the calculations, but close enough). Does this sound right?

Also, while on wheat, when doing the mash will the create any possible clogging problems getting the wort? If so, how do I counter that?

Thank you for your time and help,
Scot

Different manufacturers have different wheat/barley ratios. I think Briess is 35/65. If you used Briess (or whatever you used) before, then use the same ratio to figure your wheat malt/two-row ratio. I don't like like the recipe converter in Beersmith at all- I always convert by hand which is very easy anyway.

You know where I can find all those calculations to do the conversions that is reliable?

most of the manufacturers list the ratio and in general 1lb base malt = 0.75lb LME = 0.6lb DME

Briess: 65/35 wheat/2-row
Muntons: 55/45

Latest posts

Back