Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Cascade, Centennial..

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-05-2007, 02:39 AM   #1
Kevin Dean
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default Cascade, Centennial..

Okay, so my very first brew was an Irish Red, and I could tell instantly that I wasn't fond of it. I didn't know at the time what it was but I knew that it reminded me of the hop additions.

Looking back, my Irish Red hops was Cascade.

Today I did my Rogue Mocha Porter clone (all-grain) and it used a style of hops I'd not worked with yet... Centennial. I ripped open the package and.. BAM. A smell I didn't like, that Cascade-like hop smell...

Having just tasted my hydrometer sample it has a VERY strong flavour of centennial hops, which tasted a lot like the Cascade I don't like.

Lo and behold. Hopunion lists Centennial as a "Super Cascade" and puts Amarillo right along with it.

Is amarillo similar in flavour to Cascade? Are there any other hop varieties I should avoid, KNOWING I don't like Cascade or Centennial?

"What's your name? Well my mom calls me Son, and my cat calls me Meow, either will do." -- Sam Dodson of the Obscured Truth Network

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2007, 04:18 AM   #2
Poindexter

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I would encourage you to look over a hop chart or two and try the classics. Classically (but not always) if it starts with a "C" it is an American, and usually a hybrid of something else.

Go try some classic English hop varieties, I really like Fuggles smyslef. Try a real German or Czech hop like Hallertau or Saaz.

The charts make a whole lot more sense when you have had three dramatically different styles rather than three close together.

Old 11-05-2007, 02:28 PM   #3
mrkristofo

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I agree with Poindexter. Try Fuggles or EKG's and Hallertau or Spalt.

I believe in my Starthistle Red I used EKG and Perle.

Conditioning: Dead Guy Ale clone, Double-Dubbel
Drinking: Not for a while

Old 11-05-2007, 05:29 PM   #4
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 126 Posts

This is a good guide to substitutions. Figure out what part of Cascades you don't like (flowery, spicy, citrusy) and work through the list.

http://byo.com/referenceguide/hops/index.html

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Quick Reply