Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Can you help - my Cream Stout was TERRIBLE...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2013, 12:36 AM   #21
ViperMan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
Oh, I think the recipe is fine! It's more chocolate malt that I typically use, but the recipe isn't bad. And I think I said that earlier.

If this is sour, it sounds like a lacto infection. It's possible it's not, but if it's distinctly sour it would make me strongly consider a lacto infection.
Yooper,

Define "lacto infection" - something nasty that ate the lacto sugar, or something specifically wrong WITH the lactose? In other words was my lactose bad, or did I just screw up?

Thanks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2013, 01:03 AM   #22
Scotty_g
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViperMan View Post
Yooper,

Define "lacto infection" - something nasty that ate the lacto sugar, or something specifically wrong WITH the lactose? In other words was my lactose bad, or did I just screw up?

Thanks.
Lactobacillus is a kind of bacteria that make lactic acid, which will provide that "sour milk" taste. It's a fairly common infection. Thankfully, it's not harmful, just makes your beer taste bad (unless that's what you're looking for, like in a Kentucky sour beer or Berliner Weisse). I've heard that it's very common to find lacto bugs on grain, which is why crushing grain in the same room you fill your fermenter is risky - you can end up with critters floating in the air that infect the beer.

Natural 20 Brewery

Yes, that *is* beer. Water, malt, hops, and yeast mean it's beer. Go ahead and try a glass...

Old 01-14-2013, 01:58 AM   #23
ViperMan
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Thanks Scotty, though I'm still not sure the source of it... Was it bad lactose from my LHBS? I don't crush my own grain. Might it be from dumping the grain into the mash tun though - lets off all that dust? Usually when I do this, my fermenter is still soaking in sanitizing solution, and often in a different room. I really do want to say that the last time I tried using lactose I got similar results... Maybe I should buy some lactose from an internet source. Maybe something is wrong with my LHBS...

Also my lactose got boiled for 10 minutes before cutting the heat, so anything IN the lactose SHOULD have been killed.

Dunno - I've never had a sanitation problem (at least that I've noticed...) So I'm wondering if my LHBS is to blame...

Old 01-14-2013, 10:54 AM   #24
Scotty_g
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViperMan View Post
Thanks Scotty, though I'm still not sure the source of it... Was it bad lactose from my LHBS? ... I really do want to say that the last time I tried using lactose I got similar results... Maybe I should buy some lactose from an internet source. Maybe something is wrong with my LHBS...

Also my lactose got boiled for 10 minutes before cutting the heat, so anything IN the lactose SHOULD have been killed.

Dunno - I've never had a sanitation problem (at least that I've noticed...) So I'm wondering if my LHBS is to blame...
Unless the "lactose" is something else, it's not the problem. If you boiled it, there shouldn't be any potential for infection.

That said if only brews with lactose are giving you trouble, it's possible that's the problem. I don't know what else to tell you there.

Natural 20 Brewery

Yes, that *is* beer. Water, malt, hops, and yeast mean it's beer. Go ahead and try a glass...

Quick Reply