Can you find recipes by ingredient?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
not sure, but that would be rad!
there was a cocktail site i found awhile back that would do that, but not with beer... hrm, something to look into for sure!

Actually I am myself a software guy and considered making a database of ingredients to match their flavor profile. So you would type in "earthy" for example, and get a list of any malt/hops/yeast that are said to have "earthy" characteristics. (Fuggles, anyone?)

If anyone ever finds themselves with a summer with nothing to do, and wants to help me index the various flavor/aroma characteristics of, say, 300+ ingredients, then shoot me a message and we'll see what we can work up.

Hopville's site is pretty darn big, so they've got the place to find some recipes from a given ingredient. Here's a link to their Munich Malt page, for example:
http://hopville.com/brewing-ingredients/malt/371/munich-malt

From that you can get to a listing of all recipes that use Munich. Only downside is that there's not presently a good way to "rate" the recipes on Hopville, and people post random weird stuff there all the time.

Sounds like sweet idea! Wish I could help ya. What I am lookin for is a little different though. Let's say someone has 50lbs of 2row, 30lbs munich, 30 lbs vienna, 5 lbs each crystal 20 40 and 60, and for hops, 3oz each cascade, centennial, east kent, fuggles, and columbus. Wouldn't it be nice to have a program or website where u could plug your inventory in and it would list recipes from a database that you could brew from the ingredients you plugged in?

Sounds like sweet idea! Wish I could help ya. What I am lookin for is a little different though. Let's say someone has 50lbs of 2row, 30lbs munich, 30 lbs vienna, 5 lbs each crystal 20 40 and 60, and for hops, 3oz each cascade, centennial, east kent, fuggles, and columbus. Wouldn't it be nice to have a program or website where u could plug your inventory in and it would list recipes from a database that you could brew from the ingredients you plugged in?

BeerSmith v1.4 can do this through the search feature but only against the recipes you have in the recipe DB.

V2.0 does not have this feature anymore that I have found.

Thats too bad. For guys like me where I have a decent inventory started, live 45min from my LHBS (and broke) this would be a nice addition to our brew tools.

Like BeerSmith v1.4, Beer Alchemy will compare your ingredient inventory against recipes you've saved in your database and will suggest appropriate recipies.

Never used Alchemy. Is there a database that you can access or does it only go from recipes you've manually entered (and prob brewed already)?

As far as I know, there is no recipe database other than one you manually enter yourself.

Edited to add: One thing that's pretty cool about it is that not only willit list recipies for which you have all the ingredients, it will also give you a list of recipies for which you are missing 2 and 3 ingredients and tell you what it is that's missing. This is a nice feature when you want to brew something but may not have the exact same yeast or color crytsal malt or hop variety that is listed in the recipe but you have other stuff on hand that you can easily substitute for the missing ingredient without affecting the recipe too much (i.e. the recipe call for WLP001 yeast and you don't have any on hand but you happen to have a packet of US-05)

It would be sweet if there was a search function in the recipe forum that only looked within that section. So if you typed "Cara-red" it would only look for cara-red within the recipe database we have.

Back