CA Common Ale Beer Input?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Radobrewer

Reaction score
All Grain 5 Gallon Batch of Common Ale:

8# 2 Row
1# Light Munich
1/2# Victory
1/2# Crystal 40

1 oz Nugget @ 60m
.5 oz Perle @ 15
.5 oz Perle @ 5
1 oz Cascade @ 0
1oz Cascade dry hop 1 week

Mash 60m @ 154
Mash out 10m @ 168

Yeast: WLB San Francisco Lager

Trying to use grain/hops/yeast I already have on hand. Any suggestions/input would be greatly appreciated. :tank:

I think that grain bill should work out pretty well although it will be fairly light colored. It is similar to the recipe I have been using but I add a bit of pale chocolate. I also don't dry hop it. That said, this won't technically be a California Common by the BJCP guidelines. There are only a few beer styles that require particular hops and this is one of them. Northern Brewer hops is what defines a California Common. You should end up with a nice hybrid amber beer though.

I've brewed a few of these and agree that Northern Brewer hops make a difference. You aren't likely to get the rustic, woodsy, minty hop character from the ones you chose. Your grain bill looks good, I'd keep the abv in the 5% range. I've always used the San Fran Lager yeast as well. I usually ferment it cool in the low 60s. Looks like a good beer to me, however, the style guidelines are kind of narrow for this one and the Cascade may be a bit off. I don't think I would use dry hops either.

Let us know how it turns out!

What do you think about pitch rates for lager yeasts at ale temps? Ale level, lager level, in between?

Thanks for the input. I've been enjoying this yeast and am just trying to do different things with it. I've been fermenting between 58-60 with it.

Back