BYO recipes - Hop times

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nielsr

Reaction score
This is a real n00b question, but I struggle with the recipes in BYO magazine.

It might be the fact that English isn't my native language, but I'm not sure how to interpret the hop times given in the BYO recipes.

E.g. boil time is 90 minutes and 2 hops are listed. One with 60 min and one with 15 min.

I suppose the hop times are the time the hop has to be boiled, so the first one will be added after 30 minutes and the second after 75 minutes.

Is this correct?

Niels

Yeah that's right. People typically list hop additions by how long they are being boiled. 60 min addition is boiled for 60 minutes so you add it 60 minutes before you stop the boil. 15 min addition is boiled for 15 minutes so you add it 15 minutes before you stop the boil.

Yeah that's right. People typically list hop additions by how long they are being boiled. 60 min addition is boiled for 60 minutes so you add it 60 minutes before you stop the boil. 15 min addition is boiled for 15 minutes so you add it 15 minutes before you stop the boil.

This.

You should probably quit brewing to save money for Cantillion and Drie Fonteinen...that's what I'd do if I lived in Belgium...lol

The easiest way for me is to get a timer, that counts back to 0. So, you add your first hops (usually at 60 minutes), and set the timer at 60 minutes. As it counts down, how much time left on the clock will match up with your hops additions.

For example, today I am brewing a batch of beer with only hopping like this (as an example: 60/15/5/0.

So, I set the timer at 60 minutes when I added my first hops. When there was 15 minutes left on the timer, I added the next. When there was 5 minutes showing, I added the next. Finally, when the clock hit 0, I added my last hops and turned off the flame.

It's not just BYO that has the recipes this way. It is standard for all beer recipes.

Thanks you all for the replies. I'm sorry to be late responding but I was busy brewing ;)

Well, I was almost sure that I had it correct, but I just wanted confirmation.

Brewing in the US is done a bit different than here, so I wouldn't be suprised that the way a recipe is stated is a bit different too :)

And what is your native language out of curiosity?
I'm Flemish.

Xpertskir said:
You should probably quit brewing to save money for Cantillion and Drie Fonteinen...that's what I'd do if I lived in Belgium...lol
Indeed, why should we brew in Belgium when we have all those wonderful beers available? I suppose we all think we can do better ;)

Latest posts

Back