Budweiser American Ale Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd feel fairly confident saying that it's an ale yeast. Why go to all the effort to explain the difference between ale yeast and lager yeast if you don't use the one you say you do?

Either way, BAA has some fairly easily recognizable ale esters to my pallet.

Or esters from a Lager yeast fermented at ale temps :rockin::mug::D

i would use eds haus ale as a base. use us05 yeast. maybe replace the vienna with corn sugar(i know bud says the dont use sugar or rice or corn in it but i think itll help get close). maybe add alittle carared also. lower the bittering hops slightly. add .5cascade dryhop

just my 2cents

Do I know for sure............no but ny nose is telling me that something in there tastes a lot like Budweiser

Psychosomatic most likely. They say its an ale yeast. The fact that your "nose tells you otherwise" doesn't mean anything.

***NOT POKING FUN***

Brewing budwiser products is as exciting to most brewers as growing bell peppers is to pepper enthusiasts.......

Why grow bell peppers when they are common and incredibly available and cheap?

The same could be said of Bud.

Sorry for the lack of enthusiasm for the OP.

Maybe the OP likes the taste of the Bud American Ale and thinks maybe that is agood starting point, even peper growers start with what they are familur with.

***NOT POKING FUN***

Brewing budwiser products is as exciting to most brewers as growing bell peppers is to pepper enthusiasts.......

Why homebrew at all then? I mean, I can buy some good IPAs, so why bother? Why cook? I can buy gourmet frozen spaghetti sauce. Why play hockey, when I can watch it on TV? (And, idiot that I am, I grow bell peppers in my garden. An interesting red variety called "jingle bells". What a loser).

Brewing is a hobby, and we make what we like. I've already asked for non-helpful commenters to refrain from posting. I get annoyed when this continues.

We get it! You're too good for a Bud Ale. Fine!!!!!! Nobody is asking anybody else to brew it, to drink it, or to like it. I don't like wheat beers, but I'm not going into wheat beer threads slamming the lack of taste of those who like them.

Remember what your mother said? Remember the Golden Rule? I want to modify it. If you can't be helpful, at least STFU.

It's funny though. I listened to the Basic Brewing from March of 2007 on Aging with Oak, and the expert they had on the phone was the head brewer of New Glarus Brewing. I can't recall his exact job trajectory that brought him to start his own company, but I do remember that he said he'd worked for Budweiser. I remember he said that, say what you will about Budweiser's beers, it is a company which is completely driven by the pursuit of excellence. Which I think is what you could also say about the large majority of home brewers.
Anyway, at the very least, I'm inspired to pick up some Budweiser American Ale, and wish you good luck cloning a taste you like!

Why grille a burger at home? McD's is a mere stones throw away and you can get yer burger on for a doller.

Ya', I'll pass.

If that's the quality you are happy with, you are happy to give the company your money and don't enjoy brewing then why not.

I think a good AG brewer could probably do better for cheaper and would rather not give money to AB and would enjoy making it more than buying it

If that's the quality you are happy with, you are happy to give the company your money and don't enjoy brewing then why not.

I think a good AG brewer could probably do better for cheaper and would rather not give money to AB and would enjoy making it more than buying it

Absolutely. But I think even a mediocre AG brewer would end up with a better product for cheaper.

***NOT POKING FUN***

That's utterly ridiculous.

Why is it that people love hte "cream of three crops" but hate BMC, when its basically a clone of them.

Bud American looks to be about a 30 IBU beer made with 2-row and crystal malts. Thats a pretty normal recipe, and probably 1/2 the stuff on here is about the same.

Because brand drives identity. If I am a craft beer drinker I must hate Macrobrew. Even if they make something similar to what I enjoy. It isn't about taste for many it is about identity. I am also seeing a trend that is similar to the wino mantra. I am not cool unless my wine is so tannic that it hurts to drink. Just because it is easy to pick out a lot of hop flavor doesn't make it better. There seems to be a trend that you are only cool if you like a painful amount of bitterness in your beer. It is like trying to out man eachother. Whatever to each their own.

Anyway, any more input on the proposed clone I posted earlier. What yeast does everyone think is appropriate? Ale yeast, Lager yeast? Fermentation temp? Need for Lagering?

My gut feeling is to use an ale yeast the first time and treat it like an ale since that is what it supposivly is.

I still am not planning on brewing this anytime soon as I have others I would rather do right now. Just tryint to help the OP out.

It's funny though. I listened to the Basic Brewing from March of 2007 on Aging with Oak, and the expert they had on the phone was the head brewer of New Glarus Brewing. I can't recall his exact job trajectory that brought him to start his own company, but I do remember that he said he'd worked for Budweiser...

I also just read in BYO that Mitch Steele from Stone Brewing started out in the New Products division of Anheuser-Bush. I wonder how everyones' opinion would change if they found out that he actually developed this beer?

Definitely an Ale yeast.

60F

Yeah, or up to 65 degrees with a clean well attenuating ale yeast, but definitely no higher than 70. I'd use S05 for dry, pacman (if you can find it), Wyeast 1056, WLP001. You could use Nottingham as low as 57-59 degrees.

Maybe even Denny's Favorite 50? I used Denny's in an Irish draught recipe, and it enhanced the malt bill and give it a big mouthfeel in a smaller beer.

I haven't had the American ale lately, but I don't recall it being fruity or hoppy.

I also just read in BYO that Mitch Steele from Stone Brewing started out in the New Products division of Anheuser-Bush. I wonder how everyones' opinion would change if they found out that he actually developed this beer?

Stone could be brewing the exact recipe and it wouldn't change their opinion one bit. Stone could be bottling from Budweiser's tanks and they'd still think the Stone was better.

Its probably a very simple dry hopped amber fermented with a neutral american ale yeast, and then dry hopped with cascade.

Probably 2 Row and Crystal 80 or something.

Yeah, or up to 65 degrees with a clean well attenuating ale yeast, but definitely no higher than 70. I'd use S05 for dry, pacman (if you can find it), Wyeast 1056, WLP001. You could use Nottingham as low as 57-59 degrees.

Maybe even Denny's Favorite 50? I used Denny's in an Irish draught recipe, and it enhanced the malt bill and give it a big mouthfeel in a smaller beer.

I haven't had the American ale lately, but I don't recall it being fruity or hoppy.

Honestly I haven't tried it, it may be great for all I know!

There are just thousands of great beers I haven't tried yet, I am afraid that one is not next on my list.;)

...There are just thousands of great beers I haven't tried yet, I am afraid that one is not next on my list.;)

It's more of a "moment of opportunity" thing. I wouldn't order it out, but when I was at a friend's house for a ball game they had a couple of 12ers there and I had to try it. It wasn't bad... certainly miles ahead of the regular bud...

I had some bud American Ale at a restaurant recently and liked the taste.
Austine Homebrew has a clone kit:
http://www.austinhomebrew.com/product_info.php?cPath=178_452_43_210&products_id=11785
HAs anyone here made this yet? If so,how was it? I imagine homebrewing adds something on the plus side to this beer.
Well,has anyone actually made this extract kit? Thanks to all who posted !It has been an interesting thread for a newbee.
I'm sorry about wanting a clone of this beer,I am guilty also of growing peppers,sweet corn,carrots,hell I even keep bees for my own honey supply. But heck,I could just get adulterated stuff cheaper at the store I guess.For the naysayers,save your breath,post on a topic you feel positive about,don't kick me because I'm doing something or wanting to ty something you wouldn't.
The positives far outweighed the negatives. I am buying the clone kit from Austin Homebrew,I'll let ya know what my inexperienced nose and tastebuds think when it's finished!:mug:

Well

Anheuser-Busch responds
I am writing this letter in response to Fred Eckhardtâs column in the March issue of All About Beer. In the column, Mr. Eckhardt makes several direct references to Anheuser- Buschâs brewing practices and to our position on contract brewing which are inaccurate, and I would like to provide clarification for your readers. Furthermore, while we agree with Mr. Eckhardtâs right to state his opinions, we take exception when anyone spreads false information or fails to check facts when writing about Budweiser or any of our beers. The fact is we use a traditional process when brewing Budweiser, and we go to great lengths to ensure the quality and consistency of all of our beers.

We never have claimed that beechwood aging takes place in beechwood barrels -- our beer is aged in stainless steel vessels (which are not glass-lined.) Beechwood aging is a traditional European brewing process in which chips of beechwood are layered in the bottom of the lagering tank before the tank is filled with beer, and before the beer is kraeusened.

The Budweiser lagering process involves cooling and transferring nearly end-fermented beer to a closed lagering tank in which clean beechwood chips have been layered on the bottom. A special kraeusen brew, that is actively fermenting, is added immediately. The addition of 15 percent kraeusen allows a secondary fermentation to take place, which creates natural carbonation.

It is crucial that kraeusen is added immediately after Budweiser is put in a lager tank. This marks the beginning of the aging period. Our beers, like traditional German lagers, are aged substantially longer than the column suggests. For example, Budweiser is aged, or lagered, with beechwood chips for approximately 3 weeks, a longer period than used by many brewers.

Many old-world brewers used beechwood chips instead of other types of wood because beechwood is low in phenolics and resins that otherwise would impart woody flavor to the beer. These chips are boiled in water and baking soda-and not soda ash-before use. Having a latticework of beechwood chips on the bottom of our lager tanks allows our lager yeast to settle over the wood instead of creating layers at the bottom of the vessel. This in turn allows a greater amount of yeast contact with aging beer, which ensures complete fermentation, natural carbonation and flavor maturation.

It is inaccurate to equate beechwood aging with fining. Fining refers to a process of adding a substance (such as isinglass) to the beer as it is aging or being stored. As the fining agent settles to the bottom of the vessel, its natural charge attracts yeast cells and particulate matter, thus enhancing clarification of the beer. At Anheuser-Busch, we do not use fining agents. Our lengthy lagering process allows plenty of time for the beer to clarify, with yeast settling naturally onto the beechwood at the bottom of the vessel.

Regarding the "Dateline NBC" story, Mr. Eckhardt quite simply missed the point. We donât take issue with contract brewing-we just think beer drinkers have the right to know who really brews their beer. We, along with many other traditional brewers and beer enthusiasts, object to those who mislead consumers by marketing their beers as "craft brewed," when in fact their beers are made in large breweries.

At Anheuser-Busch, we are very proud of our traditional brewing techniques and the quality ingredients used in brewing Budweiser, and all of our beers. Our dedicated team of brewmasters is involved in every step of the brewing process, from grains to finished beer, and like any brewer we object when our brewing techniques are misrepresented.

We enjoy talking about our beers and our brewing process, and if any of your readers would like to learn more about how Budweiser is brewed or about our beechwood aging process, we invite them to visit any of our 12 U.S. breweries, which are located in St. Louis; Newark, New Jersey; Los Angeles; Houston; Columbus, Ohio; Jacksonville, Florida; Merrimack, New Hampshire; Williamsburg, Virginia; Fairfield, California; Baldwinsville, New York; Fort Collins, Colorado; and Cartersville, Georgia.

We also invite readers to visit one of our three Budweiser Mobile Beer Schools that now are touring the country, or to log in to www.hopnotes.com -- one of our internet sites -- where I would be happy to answer any additional questions personally through our "Ask the Brewmaster" section.

Thank you for the opportunity to set the record straight.

Sincerely,
Mitch Steele
Brewmaster, Anheuser-Busch, Inc.

They make FINE products FWIW

Remember what your mother said? Remember the Golden Rule? I want to modify it. If you can't be helpful, at least STFU.

I think I just swooned a little, YB. Yes, I'm sure I did. :) And thanks for keeping us on track.

For the OP, good luck with the kit. Try it and see how it goes. For comparison's sake, you could also try an Amber Hybrid recipe from the hbt recipe database - pick one that's straightforward, simple, with some malt, and crystal, american hops with a total IBU of around 30. Here's one that people seem to like (its on my "someday" list, but haven't brew it yet):

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f63/house-amber-ag-extract-55427/

Cheers! :mug:

Wow, I just might brew up an attempt at a clone this weekend for all the naysayers.

After some research I believe I've got the hops and grains. I'm making an educated on percentages, hop amounts and times.

85% pale ale malt, 15% C-60, Magnum (in place of palisade for bittering), Willamette, Saaz, and Cascade.

Wow, I just might brew up an attempt at a clone this weekend for all the naysayers.

After some research I believe I've got the hops and grains. I'm making an educated on percentages, hop amounts and times.

85% pale ale malt, 15% C-60, Magnum (in place of palisade for bittering), Willamette, Saaz, and Cascade.

I think your approach makes sense. I do wonder about the Magnum hops, though - what's your target IBU number?

Target IBU is 28. The magnum addition would be less than half an ounce at the 60 minute mark and is really so I can get a clean bittering addition.

not for nothing, but I'm sure the staff at AHS has researched their recipe....and it's probably really close to Bud Ale.

again, OP is asking if anyone has tried the AHS clone - not if anyone can clone it....

Anheuser-Busch responds said:
We also invite readers to visit one of our three Budweiser Mobile Beer Schools that now are touring the country, or to log in to www.hopnotes.com -- one of our internet sites -- where I would be happy to answer any additional questions personally through our "Ask the Brewmaster" section.

Dead link. :(

Ingredients/Brewing: Brewed with caramel malted barley for a
beautiful, rich amber color and sweet
malt character and dry-hopped with
Cascade hops from the Pacific
Northwest for a noticeably citrus aroma,
Budweiser American Ale achieves the
perfect balance of rounded malt and
hop flavor.

Ingredients/Brewing: Brewed with caramel malted barley for a
beautiful, rich amber color and sweet
malt character and dry-hopped with
Cascade hops from the Pacific
Northwest for a noticeably citrus aroma,
Budweiser American Ale achieves the
perfect balance of rounded malt and
hop flavor.

I got most of my info from a video Revvy linked in a previous thread.

The brewer lists pale malt and a caramel malt, as well as palisade, saaz, willamette, and cascade in kettle and dry hopped with cascade.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back