Borscht Beer (Beerscht)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The5thHerring

Reaction score
Put together a tentative recipe for a 1-gallon borscht-like beer. It is as follows:

BEERSCHT - 1 gallon

1 lb dark malt extract
5 oz beet sugar (brown, less refined)
5 oz lactose
1/2 beet, cubed
0.25 oz Lublin hops
1 cup pasteurized beet kvass (made from lactofermentation of the other half of the beet)
2 peppercorns
a spicy ale yeast (not sure which yet)

Boil all ingredients except the kvass and the hops for 30 minutes in 2 quarts of water. Add hops and boil another 10 minutes. Add (previously pasturized) kvass and boil another 5. Strain and sparge into 1.5 quarts of cold water in the fermenter. Add more water to 1 gallon if necessary; pitch yeast at room temperature.

--

I have a few questions. First, ought I use a lighter extract? I want this to have the body of a dark beer, and I like the color, but I don't want the flavors to clash too much or the beet to be completely overwhelmed.

Second, has anyone made kvass? Is there a particular strain of yeast and/or bacteria anyone recommends? I was thinking of just using whey strained from live and active yogurt.

Third, what do you think of fermenting it on some more chopped beet in secondary?

Finally, does anyone have any suggestions for the ale yeast?

Many thanks.

Back