Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Austin Homebrew Malt Extract

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-29-2008, 05:44 PM   #1
BearsWickedBrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Austin Homebrew Malt Extract

I noticed on their website it say's only that they buy from north american sources- there is no sort of brand name. I also noticed that this stuff is wayyyy cheaper than something like Muntons.

Q#1: Has anybody used this specific type of extract? I ran a search function and saw a few posts that mentioned that there are no major differences between brands.

Q#2: On their website, they only have the following options: Amber, Dark, Extra Pale, Munich, & Wheat. If a recipe calls for Light- would I use Extra Pale?...is extra pale lighter than amber?

^^This applies to LME only

Mod Edit: This is a question about an ingedient: It's been moved to the relevant forum.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2008, 05:52 PM   #2
FishinDave07
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearsWickedBrew View Post
IQ#1: Has anybody used this specific type of extract? I ran a search function and saw a few posts that mentioned that there are no major differences between brands.
I've used their DME and LME and if its true what people say that there are no differences between other brands, then i'll take it cheaper at Austin Homebrew.

Q#2: On their website, they only have the following options: Amber, Dark, Extra Pale, Munich, & Wheat. If a recipe calls for Light- would I use Extra Pale?...is extra pale lighter than amber?

^^This applies to LME only[/QUOTE]

Definately use Extra Pale. I would recommend that you use Extra Pale DME or LME for any brews and rely on specialty grains to add color and complexity
Drinking: Yakima Blonde (Imperialized), Banana Wheat, Russian Imperial Stout, and anything i can get my hands on
On Deck: Watermelon Wheat, Red Panda Ale, Gluten Free Brown Ale, Mojito IPA, Smoked Pepper Stout

Old 07-29-2008, 06:02 PM   #3
BarleyWater

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Go for the extra pale in almost every batch, and use the specialty/crystal grains for color and flavor. It's cheaper because it's in bulk, not sold in those cans. It comes in a giant tub, and they pour you as much as you need.

Fermenting: Nada
On Tap:Cran Wit, Dr Pepper Dubbel, Cascadian Pale Ale, Dark Chocolate Stout, Imperial Stout, Brown Mild, Schwarzbier
On Board: IIPA

www.franconiabrewing.com

Old 07-29-2008, 07:33 PM   #4
BearsWickedBrew
Recipes 

Thanks for the info guys- Another question (noob) relating to austin homebrew- I noticed they only have "Black Roasted Barley"..is this the same as "Roasted Barley". My guess is no?

Old 07-29-2008, 08:08 PM   #5
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4272 Times on 3112 Posts
Likes Given: 820

Quote:
Thanks for the info guys- Another question (noob) relating to austin homebrew- I noticed they only have "Black Roasted Barley"..is this the same as "Roasted Barley". My guess is no?
I know that Forrest (the owner) has commented on that before, and my thinking is that "yes" it is.

Edit- here it is! http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?p=747281

Old 07-29-2008, 08:17 PM   #6
BearsWickedBrew
Recipes 

wow

thanks for the link. I always use the search function and didnt bother in this case because I thought it was a ridiculous question.

Old 07-29-2008, 08:22 PM   #7
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4272 Times on 3112 Posts
Likes Given: 820

Quote:
wow

thanks for the link. I always use the search function and didnt bother in this case because I thought it was a ridiculous question.
Well, you know the old saying- there is no such thing as a ridiculous question. Only ridiculous people asking questions.

J/k- sometimes the "easy" sounding questions are not all that easy and we can all learn from questions asked and answered. Don't ever be afraid to ask a question. I rarely embarass people in public.

Quick Reply