Attempt at a Fall Seasonal Beer.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RonPopeil

Reaction score
Not really sure how to go about this. I want to incorporate butternut squash since all of the Amish grow it and i can get it cheaply. I don't want it to be super boozey just full bodied to warm you up some. I also want to incorporate chai tea in the secondary. What concerns me most is the finishing gravity and proper utilization of crystal malts. I do want this to be sweeter but not intensely sweet. Think milky chai tea.

Alot of this recipe was taken from a cream stout with some deletions and modifications.

9# 2 Row
2# White Wheat
1# Lactose
.5# Flaked Barley
.5# Flaked Oats
.25# Crystal 120
.25# Special B

1oz Hallertau @ 60
1oz Hallertau @ 20

1 Vial Cali Ale, no starter

Mashed at 155F for sweetness.

5 Chai bags in secondary.
X amount of Squash in secondary.

OG: 1.060
FG: 1.017
IBU: 20.5
ABV: 5.6%

Ideas still on the table:

Am I doing the crystal malt right?

What about an English yeast? I wouldn't mind this thing finishing around 1.020 and I have a Xmas DIPA that I'd like to do with an english yeast cake so if I could pitch on top of this thing that would be awesome.

How do I add the squash? Roast in the oven like with the pumpkin beers then add to fermenter in a mouslin? How much squash?

The chai is going to add tannins. How do I handle this? 20 IBU isn't much so it shouldn't be too bitter should it?

Latest posts

Back