Any thought on this recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zamo27

Reaction score
Can you guys look at this recipe for me and with your experience scrutinise it so I will produce something close to munkebo pale ale

SG 1056
29 IBU
14 SRM
5.9 aBv

3lb caramel crystal malt 20L
6 lb wheat malt
1 lb pilsner 2 row
9 lb Munich malt 20L

1.03oz northern brew 60'
0.69 oz cascade 15'

Wyeast lab 1338

0.69 oz nugget 15'
0.69 oz simcoe 5'
0.69 oz hellertauter hersnrucker
1 ozhellertauter hersnrucker flame out
1 oz cascade flame out

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I haven't had the original but here's some generic constructive feedback:

The 1 lb of pils is likely just going to be lost behind all that Munich and wheat

3 lb of crystal is about 17% of the grain bill. That's twice as much as a lot of people would consider a lot. I don't know what the commercial beer is like or what style it's supposed to be but I'm certain that's wayyyy heavy on the crystal.

It's amber to orange in colour and they say it's an American Bavarian style of ale.
I can't get the right colour on beersmith but those are the type of grains used by the commercial brewery in their description
Obviously I came up with the bill

Hopefully someone comes along who's had the beer and can give some better feedback. but, my gut tells me, since you say those are the malts listed, that pils and wheat should be the majority of the grain bill. Maybe like 50% pils, 30% wheat, 15% Munich, 5% crystal.... this is a complete stab in the dark but feels like a natural balance of those malts... and may not be representative of the commercial beer. Are you sure it's c20?

What size batch is this? it's very hard to comment on hops without having had the beer.

I saw you other post and wondered what the heck you were trying to make, I see now on their website they really are crossing a hoppy American pale with a German wheat (I assume this is the Gyldenkam pale). Sounds kinda gross to me but it must work if folks like it.

Anyway, I agree with Weezy I think you need to change up your percentages. They often list grains in decreasing order of percentage in the recipe. So not knowing the beer but going by their website I would consider something like 48% wheat/30% pils/15% munich/7% c-20. If you use dark wheat malt I think that will get you into orange range. If you want a beer like they've made you're going to have to use the right yeast, so probably something like wyeast 3638 plus an American strain I guess. Good luck with it.
:mug:

Thanks I'll play around it on beersmith and I'll see what I can get

The beer is absolutely splendid
Well in my opinion any way
I d love it have simething close to it in my stash as my off licence doesn't stock it
Thank you

Back