Any really Good Dark IIPA recipes?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

binaryc0de

Torrence Brewing
Reaction score
A buddy of mine just brewed up a IIPA and that got me thinking of trying to craft a Dark IIPA. I've been looking the recipes but I thought I throw this out there and see if there were any tried and true recipes or some frame work. I think I may want to do a partial mash for an imperial recipe to cut down on the amount of grain and efficiency problems I'd run into with AG on my setup. Thoughts or ideas?

This one turned out awesome when I first tapped the keg, then it had a leak and went flat - wasn't the same after. I just brewed it again yesterday. It really reminded me of a Stone beer, although not intended. I plan to enter it in the State Fair competition in August.

Recipe: O'Daniel's (Eightball) Imperial Black Ale v2
Brewer: O'Daniel
Asst Brewer:
Style: Imperial IPA
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 6.41 gal
Estimated OG: 1.084 SG
Estimated Color: 32.7 SRM
Estimated IBU: 86.8 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
14 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 88.89 %
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 3.17 %
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM) Grain 3.17 %
8.0 oz De-Bittered Black Malt (550.0 SRM) Grain 3.17 %
4.0 oz Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 1.59 %
1.00 oz Chinook [12.40 %] (60 min) Hops 34.9 IBU
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [9.40 %] (20 min) Hops 16.0 IBU
1.00 oz Chinook [12.40 %] (15 min) Hops 17.3 IBU
1.00 oz Centennial [11.50 %] (10 min) Hops 11.7 IBU
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [9.40 %] (5 min) Hops 5.3 IBU
1.00 oz Chinook [12.40 %] (1 min) Hops 1.5 IBU
2 Pkgs British Ale (Wyeast Labs #1098) [Starter 1Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: My Mash
Total Grain Weight: 15.75 lb
----------------------------
My Mash
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
60 min Step Add 23.63 qt of water at 163.3 F 150.0 F

I brewed a really good Stone XI clone. They released it as Sublimely-Self Righteous and it is some great beer. Good luck.

I just took a Pliny clone and played with the grain bill a bit for mine.

Used a darker crystal, added a half pound of de-husked carafa III, 2oz debittered black, and used 1/2 pound dark candi sugar to replace half of the sugar.

It's fermenting now and is black as night, smells great!

Well, after checking out all the recipes, I've started piecing together a brew. I want to make a dark hop bomb... So I'm putting close to a pound of hops in this one (5 Gal). I'm also going to use the de-husked carafa III for the color (might go with 1lb). I want a real warmer so targeting an OG of 1.090 and maybe get around 9-9.5%.

Just a relevant update, just took a gravity reading on my black IIPA based on Pliny, 1.013 after 8 days in primary! The sample tasted great, I'm really excited about this brew. There's a very light hint of roastiness but the amount seems just right and it's not 'burned' tasting at all.

I used all pellets too. I think I'll toss it into secondary tomorrow if the reading is the same and begin my two step dry hop :D

Sounds great! :mug:
I ended up getting poor eff. (than I expected) at 66%. I still hit my target OG though (1.090) by boiling the wort down and collecting 4.75 gal instead of 5. It's fermenting away in the primary now. I plan on drinking this one young before the hop aroma goodness has a chance to fade. At 1.090 it's going to be a good day when I finally get to taste my efforts here. :D :tank:

sounds awesome! keep updating this thread id like to brew something similar and would like to hear how yours turns out

I plan on drinking mine young too. I racked it to secondary on top of 3oz hops today, smelled great. I'm thinking that I want to bottle this in 12oz bottles primarily so that every time I have it I'm not obliged to have two.

It's not too long now!

Sounds great! :mug:
I ended up getting poor eff. (than I expected) at 66%. I still hit my target OG though (1.090) by boiling the wort down and collecting 4.75 gal instead of 5. It's fermenting away in the primary now. I plan on drinking this one young before the hop aroma goodness has a chance to fade. At 1.090 it's going to be a good day when I finally get to taste my efforts here. :D :tank:

I lost a bit over half a gallon to trub in mine and all my hops were contained in herb balls during the boil, plus I squeezed the liquid out of them. I had 5.5 gallons in primary and only have about 4.8 gallons in secondary. You'll probably wind up with about 4.25 gallons... which is fine considering the strength of the beer :)

I plan on drinking mine young too. I racked it to secondary on top of 3oz hops today, smelled great. I'm thinking that I want to bottle this in 12oz bottles primarily so that every time I have it I'm not obliged to have two.

It's not too long now!

I brewed a Stone XI clone and bottled it in actual 22oz SSR bottles, side by side they are very close. I got into mine early as well but I advise against that. As time went on it only got better. So good you want more than one, that's why I use 22's.

Well took gravity last Saturday before transfer (1.024-1.025). Thought ok well it will probably ferment down a little lower. Just took a gravity sample today and still the same. I contribute that to the little bit of extract I used (about 20-25% of gravity points). Sample tasted great maybe a bit sweeter than I wanted though. So I decided to pitch about 1/2 tsp of amylase to hopefully get those last few points down.

Well took gravity last Saturday before transfer (1.024-1.025). Thought ok well it will probably ferment down a little lower. Just took a gravity sample today and still the same. I contribute that to the little bit of extract I used (about 20-25% of gravity points). Sample tasted great maybe a bit sweeter than I wanted though. So I decided to pitch about 1/2 tsp of amylase to hopefully get those last few points down.

Good call, i wouldn't be happy with 1.024. I just bottled mine a half hour ago, finished at 1.013, taste is sublime. It's a little more roasty than I anticipated but I like that it turned out that way.

Turns out it's gonna be 9.4% ABV, wow! I guess that's what I get with a higher than expected efficiency and better attenuation than expected!

I just thought... will my S05 be able to carb it at 9.4%?

I think US-05's alcohol tolerance is some where around 12%. So other than the possibility of tuckered out yeast you'll probably be fine

Bottled today after a consistent reading of 1.018 (enzyme worked great). I always enjoy bottling day because I end up drinking the bottom of the bucket :D (below the spigot when there's not enough to fill up another bottle). Taste great can't wait till it completely ready.

ohhhhh mannnnn

mine turned out FANTASTIC

When it was a little green it tasted soapy and I was worried. A week later and it's easily the best thing I've brewed and easily one of my fav IPAs immediately.

So excited!!!!!!!!!!!!

dscn1311m.jpg

Glad yours turned out so good, Looks tasty!:rockin:

Tried mine last weekend on brew day... It's great also. I'm very pleased with how it turned out.

Photo00061.jpg

Those look great guys.

I just posted this in another CDA/BIPA thread the other day and it relates here:

Here's a recipe I made a while back based off of Stone SSR Ale. I've had multiple people tell me it's one of the best beers they've ever tasted - I was pretty blown away myself too. Definitely my best batch of home brew ever.

5 Gallon batch
OG: 1.083
FG: 1.021
IBU: 95
SRM: 37

15 lbs 4.0 oz Pale Malt (2 Row)
14.0 oz Carafa III
14.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L

Mashed @ 152

1.75 oz Chinook [13.00 %] (60 min)
1.00 oz Cascade [7.50 %] (30 min)
1.00 oz Cascade [7.50 %] (15 min)
1.00 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] (2 min)
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] (2 min)

Pacman Yeast starter cultured from bottles

1.50 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] (Dry Hop 7 days)
1.50 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] (Dry Hop 7 days)

I'm going to brew it again for my next batch - the last batch went fast! Since I don't have the Pacman culture around anymore I think I'll prob pitch 2 packs of US-05 and maybe mash a degree lower. Finishing at 1.021 was just fine but I think 1.019 would be perfect.

yeah I took the pic with my Samsung Impression (I'd like to get the droid though). Last brew day was very bright (and hot) day. So the sun kind of gives the pic a cloudy look.

Latest posts

Back