Amber ale. Need input.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lando

Reaction score
Need thoughts on this one. I have not done anything close to this style yet. I want a complex flavor profile with not too much alcohol.

Size: 5.0 gal
Efficiency: 75.0%
Attenuation: 75.0%
Calories: 149.89 kcal per 12.0 fl oz

Original Gravity: 1.045 (1.045 - 1.060)
Terminal Gravity: 1.011 (1.010 - 1.015)
Color: 13.17 (10.0 - 17.0)
Alcohol: 4.43% (4.5% - 6.2%)
Bitterness: 36.5 (25.0 - 40.0)

Ingredients:
6.0 lb 2-Row Brewers Malt
1.0 lb Aromatic Malt
.5 lb 2-Row Caramel Malt 60L
.5 lb 2-Row Caramel Malt 10L
.5 lb Biscuit Malt (Mout Roost 50)
.25 lb Amber
.50 oz Magnum (14.5%) - added during boil, boiled 60 min
.25 oz Centennial (10.0%) - added during boil, boiled 20.0 min
.25 oz Amarillo (8.5%) - added during boil, boiled 10 min
.25 oz Willamette (5.0%) - added during boil, boiled 5.0 min
1.0 tsp Irish Moss - added during boil, boiled 15 min
1.0 ea Danstar 3767 Nottingham

Amber malt is pretty intense- I only use 6 ounces of it with 13 pounds of 2 row in my IPA. It's got a very strong flavor, in my opinion. If you have experience with it, though, and like it, I would defer to you on that since I rarely use it.

I'm not sure about the hopping- all of those different ones might just give you a "muddy" flavor. I'd pick two complimentary ones for the aroma/flavor. (I'd not use the willamette, in other words)

The amount of amber was my main concern and I think I will lower that.
What is the muddy hop flavor you mention and why no willamette?
Thanks!

For my Ambers I like to be in the 17 SRM range I like the deep red color. I always like to add some C120 to my ambers.

Muddy hops flavor comes from too many varieties competing for dominance of flavor. Use a distinctively American variety for flavor and aroma, and a neutral bittering variety. One of the citrusy "C" varieties will work well in a flavor/aroma capacity, as will Amarillo.

Magnum is perfect for bittering. Just don't go too crazy on the IBUs.

+1 to the idea of a little dark crystal. 4 ounces should be perfect. As I wrote in the Wiki article, Amber needs a broad spectrum of Crystal-malt flavors.

That's also quite a lot of Aromatic and Biscuit, too much for this beer. I have trouble telling them apart, anyhow. Me, I'd keep the Biscuit and swap the Aromatic for an equal amount of Pale Malt.

Cheers,

Bob

Latest posts

Back