Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > ALWAYS stress the signature requirement

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-31-2008, 04:17 AM   #21
Kubed
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

You can remind the supplier that they don't need to wait for fedex before they send your replacement. No reason for you to suffer as this is between them and fedex. If they're really dragging their feet on it, say "that's ok." Cancel the charge with your CC co and order from someone else.

Bottled: IPA, Hefeweizen, Magic Hat #9 clone, CCA, Apfelwein, Panty Dropping Apple Cider
Kegged: Belgian White PM, Orfy's Hob Goblin

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2008, 04:51 PM   #22
Philip1993
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubed
You can remind the supplier that they don't need to wait for fedex before they send your replacement. No reason for you to suffer as this is between them and fedex. If they're really dragging their feet on it, say "that's ok." Cancel the charge with your CC co and order from someone else.
Kubed, As an online merchant of 7+ years, I can tell you that what you are suggesting is abusive and rude.

First, I get 20 calls/month with missing packages. 19 of those are people who didn't look on the front porch, their wife took it in and didn't tell them, etc. If I immediately shipped on every lost package, I'd spend a fortune in shipping for re-ships and return postage for duplicate packages. Filing a claim is takes about 48 hours and we ship a replacement immediately upon carrier confirmation of a loss.

Second, Remember that the merchant got screwed here to. It's not his fault your neighbors stole from your porch, but he will still eat the time and postage to service and replace the package. He could require a signature on every package, but then you would take your business elsewhere. So remember, you bear some of the responsibility and the merchant asking you to be patient while they make you whole is not at all unreasonable.

Finally, contrary to popular opinion, issuing a charge back is intended for use when a merchant fails to deliver the goods, NOT simply when they aren't as fast as you like. It costs them a penalty of $10-40 and the number chargebacks affects their discount ratio. Remember that if you had written a check stopping payment is a crime punishable by jail time. And while a chargeback is legal, you should give it the same regard as stopping payment on a check.

Bottom line; If your message is indicative of how you choose to do business, please do me a favor and take your business elsewhere. I prefer to deal with people who communicate and work cooperate to find mutually equitable solutions to a problem.

EDIT: I just read this after posting

Quote:
The 2nd one to your CC company no matter what the seller says.
That is ridiculous. Please PM me your real name so I can add it to my fraud list. That way, if you ever end up at my store I won't have to worry about your immature behavior.

Old 03-31-2008, 06:11 PM   #23
Kubed

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pldoolittle
Kubed, As an online merchant of 7+ years, I can tell you that what you are suggesting is abusive and rude.
Apparently we've touched upon a nerve here. I've got no problem with you viewing what I said as being "abusive and rude" because I found the tone of your reply to be exactly the same. I have a hard time believing that you would still be in business after 7+ years if you really talked to your customers like that so I'll assume that you're just a little worked up over this.

I buy $10k+ in online goods a year and most of the time it works flawlessly. However it took just a few bad experiences to leave me with zero tolerance for BS. A few months ago I had an $800 truck part go missing. When I called the seller to tell them about what had happened, they told me “we shipped it, take it up with UPS.” Rarely is there a problem with online shopping and I’ll give the seller the benefit of the doubt when there is, but when that’s the attitude I’m faced with, I’ve got no problem canceling my order and taking my money elsewhere.

Quote:
That is ridiculous. Please PM me your real name so I can add it to my fraud list. That way, if you ever end up at my store I won't have to worry about your immature behavior.
Well Philip, I’m not sure when I’ll be in the market for cat pee remover, but I wouldn’t worry about me shopping from you.
Bottled: IPA, Hefeweizen, Magic Hat #9 clone, CCA, Apfelwein, Panty Dropping Apple Cider
Kegged: Belgian White PM, Orfy's Hob Goblin

Old 03-31-2008, 06:17 PM   #24
Beerthoven

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

The supplier did ship the hops, and UPS (or who ever) did deliver them. How is it their fault, and why should they be held responsible, because they were stolen off the front porch of the person who ordered them?

Everyone always looks for someone else to take the blame when things don't go right.

Was the shipment insured? No.

File a police report and get over it.

Primary/Secondary: #109 Rye, #110 APA

Kegged: #106 American Wheat, #107 IPA, #108 Nut Brown

Planned: Red IPA, American Brown

Old 03-31-2008, 06:30 PM   #25
Philip1993
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Apparently we've touched upon a nerve here. I've got no problem with you viewing what I said as being "abusive and rude" because I found the tone of your reply to be exactly the same.
It wasn't your tone I objected to, it was you willingness to screw a vendor at the drop of a hat. As you said yourself, "no matter what the seller says"...

Quote:
I have a hard time believing that you would still be in business after 7+ years if you really talked to your customers like that so I'll assume that you're just a little worked up over this.
Yes, and no. No, I don't talk to 99.999% of my customers this way, just the ones that feel it's appropriate to pre-emptively screw me over because of what they imagine I *might* do to them. Yes, I am a little worked up over this issue. You are the one in a thousand that makes you wonder if being in retail is worth it. The person that is always pissed off no matter how hard you work to satisfy them.

Quote:
I buy $10k+ in online goods a year and most of the time it works flawlessly. However it took just a few bad experiences to leave me with zero tolerance for BS.
Lots and lots of online purchases, with only a few bad experiences. And you think that those few experiences give you license to screw over a seller at a moments notice because they don't respond fast enough for you?

Quote:
I wouldn’t worry about me shopping from you.
That is your loss. I think if you will present a copy of your comments from this thread to merchants *before* you place an order, you will find very few will do business with you.

Old 03-31-2008, 06:35 PM   #26
Philip1993
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerthoven
The supplier did ship the hops, and UPS (or who ever) did deliver them. How is it their fault, and why should they be held responsible, because they were stolen off the front porch of the person who ordered them?

Everyone always looks for someone else to take the blame when things don't go right. Was the shipment insured? No. File a police report and get over it.
Actually, Kubed is right about it being the vendors responsibility to make it right. I'm just busting his chops for not behaving appropriately and allowing the vendor a reasonable period of time to make it right.

As for why: UPS took a risk in not making a positive delivery. UPS works for the seller. Secondarily, The seller took a risk by not requiring a signature.

Old 03-31-2008, 06:40 PM   #27
GilaMinumBeer
In yo' garage, steelin' yo parts.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4821 Times on 4425 Posts
Likes Given: 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerthoven

Everyone always looks for someone else to take the blame when things don't go right.

Was the shipment insured? No.

File a police report and get over it.
The shipment was insured. My point, again, here is that we should require a signature for delivery. Then the carrier would be obligated to leave a delivery notice rather than dumping a package on a porch.

Had I had some forsight I would have suggested to the shipper to require a signature. In the future, I will be having all packages delivered to my work (which is against my own personal policy).

I never said that the shipper or Fed Ex is responsible and until I learned that the package had been insured I had considered this an unfortunate (expensive) loss on my part.

The frustration is that,

1.) A signature request should not be an option, it should be policy on the part of the carrier.

2.) It is rediculous to think that a package is no longer safe in a respected neighborhood.

3.) Forea members have taken this to a level of trashing one another rather than heed the warning I was attempting to convey.

The ONLY real blame is on the unknown culprit who apparently has nothing better to do in life than cause simple, productive, law abiding citizens distress, frustration, and distrust in his fellow neighbors.

Old 03-31-2008, 06:41 PM   #28
Beerthoven

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Ok, well, I guess you guys are right.

Primary/Secondary: #109 Rye, #110 APA

Kegged: #106 American Wheat, #107 IPA, #108 Nut Brown

Planned: Red IPA, American Brown

Old 03-31-2008, 10:07 PM   #29
richab
Recipes 

Sounds like someone's cat pissed on their carpet... Hey I'll sell you some baking soda for $55. AHAHAHAH
you need to relax dude...

Quote:

First, I get 20 calls/month with missing packages. 19 of those are people who didn't look on the front porch, their wife took it in and didn't tell them, etc. If I immediately shipped on every lost package, I'd spend a fortune in shipping for re-ships and return postage for duplicate packages. Filing a claim is takes about 48 hours and we ship a replacement immediately upon carrier confirmation of a loss.

Second, Remember that the merchant got screwed here to. It's not his fault your neighbors stole from your porch, but he will still eat the time and postage to service and replace the package. He could require a signature on every package, but then you would take your business elsewhere. So remember, you bear some of the responsibility and the merchant asking you to be patient while they make you whole is not at all unreasonable.

Finally, contrary to popular opinion, issuing a charge back is intended for use when a merchant fails to deliver the goods, NOT simply when they aren't as fast as you like. It costs them a penalty of $10-40 and the number chargebacks affects their discount ratio. Remember that if you had written a check stopping payment is a crime punishable by jail time. And while a chargeback is legal, you should give it the same regard as stopping payment on a check.

Bottom line; If your message is indicative of how you choose to do business, please do me a favor and take your business elsewhere. I prefer to deal with people who communicate and work cooperate to find mutually equitable solutions to a problem.

EDIT: I just read this after posting

Old 04-01-2008, 01:02 AM   #30
Philip1993
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilaMinumBeer
A signature request should not be an option, it should be policy on the part of the carrier.
It'll never happen because most customers don't want it. I would lose 50% of my business if signatures were mandatory...

Quick Reply