16 LBs of Amber and Honey malt…WTF?!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tschafer

Reaction score
Sent my dad to the LHBS, to pick up 8oz of Amber and 8oz of Honey Malt for an annual pale ale I make to celebrate my daughters birthday…Old man picked up 8 POUNDs each.

Now I have 16 pounds of specialty malt and I really don't have a clue what to do with it.

We can can make up to 10 gals, but I'm lost on what to do with that much milled grain.

Any suggestions?

I will pm you my POBOX address ;)

-----

Invest in grain buckets?

I've never heard of honey malt... hrm...

Amber can be used as a stronger biscuit or victory malt, but at over 5% it tends to needs a fair amount aging to mellow, and tends to be harsh in quantity. Some historical recipes if you look at the barclay perkins site, use like 20% amber. May be time to try something, from there?

Honey malt is worse. I rarely use more than 3%. It can be pleasant in lighter malty beers at that level, giving a honey aroma, and a meladonin type taste.

But neither Id use in that vast of quantities. I hope you have a vacuum sealer. Or chickens to feed.

Barclay Perkins is awesome. The recipes are listed here: http://www.unholymess.com/blog/lets-brew/comment-page-1 As far as the honey malt goes, you can use it instead of any lighter crystal malt (20-60 Lovibond), although maybe with a light hand, but 8lbs is a lot. Maybe join a homebrew club and give the first 12 people 1/2lb of each? Grind it to powder and make granola bars?

Ya, it's all mix up in a grain bag, so their is no separating it or know the amount percentage pulled

I got a buddy that has a few chickens.

Guess i'll give the bulk to him may pull a 1 pound for porter, or scottish ale…

I blame my LBS clerk. He should have stopped his. "Whoa buddy, that's a hell'ava lot of Amber and Honey malt."...16 f-ing lbs…LOL my god.

You can use 10-15% of that in the grist of a porter or stout. Balance it out with 3-5% of Black Malt. Pity you have the Amber and Honey mixed together as the Amber on its own is very very usable for lots of styles.

HaHa! This post made me laugh out loud. I say just throw it all in a mash and ferment it. Frickin hilarious

^this.
Buy some base malt, and split this in 2.
Do one as a stout or porter, something dark so the flavors can get lost.
The other I would pick up some Belgian saison yeast, add some orange zest and ferment high.

Both will need to age, stout you could tap toward end of winter, and saison you could tap next spring/summer.

You already have the grain, use it, you just may stumble upon your next great recipe.

Ya, it's all mix up in a grain bag, so their is no separating it or know the amount percentage pulled

I got a buddy that has a few chickens.

Guess i'll give the bulk to him may pull a 1 pound for porter, or scottish ale…

I blame my LBS clerk. He should have stopped his. "Whoa buddy, that's a hell'ava lot of Amber and Honey malt."...16 f-ing lbs…LOL my god.

Yeah that should have been a huge red flag unless he assumed you wanted to make 80 gallons of beer. I don't know if it would be worth the time and effort to ferment it then end up with a mystery beer. You might be able to convince the shop to give some sort of refund, especially if you explain what happened.

-Jeff

Back