New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Would YOU use this carboy??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2012, 04:27 PM   #1
Nierika
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Would YOU use this carboy??

I bought a old 5 gallon seltzer carboy from the flea market for $5. Only problem is there is a lot of scratches/gouges around the neck. The inside seems to be in good shape however. Would YOU store your precious liquids in here???

"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checked by failure...than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat." ~Theodore Roosevelt

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2012, 04:32 PM   #2
urbanmyth
Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 58

I don't see why not. If you are that worried, you can do some sour experiments in it.

Sheldon: If its a brew day, its a good day

raptorvan: it makes the beer so silky smooth its like drinking a glass of giggling angels.

Old 04-16-2012, 04:33 PM   #3
Copperpots_Brewing
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I don't know much about glass but I assume glass is glass, food safe or not. As long as you thoroughly clean the entire carboy often, I don't think it would be a problem. I would often use oxi clean and a scrub brush, then use starsan on top of that, before I put any wort in there. As long as you feel confident nothing could still be living in those gouges, then I think you should be just fine. A five dollar glass carboy is a great deal!

Old 04-16-2012, 04:37 PM   #4
LandoLincoln
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 370 Times on 222 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Yeah, I'd use it. You might want to take some sandpaper to it to smooth everything out.

That third picture shows a definite sign of cracking at the top. Don't ever pick this carboy up by that top ridge.

I wouldn't ever use a carboy cap on this thing either. That might also crack the top off. Use a rubber stopper.

Old 04-16-2012, 04:54 PM   #5
Nierika
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Thanks for the replies. I thought it would be ok, but wasn't sure. Also, it doesn't appear to be cracking at all. There are a lot of superficial surface scratches on the outside. I think this thing has been well used. I wonder how old it is. It looks like the company started in 1925...

"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checked by failure...than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat." ~Theodore Roosevelt

Old 04-16-2012, 06:01 PM   #6
brewingmeister
Recipes 

Liked 156 Times on 116 Posts
Likes Given: 2

looks like someone took a dremel or something like it to the top to smooth out the chips. I wouldn't have a problem using it. A stopper should seal just fine.

Old 04-16-2012, 06:26 PM   #7
mpcluever
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copperpots_Brewing View Post
As long as you feel confident nothing could still be living in those gouges, then I think you should be just fine.
You will never kill everything in those gouges.

Old 04-16-2012, 06:29 PM   #8
onthekeg
Recipes 

Liked 73 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpcluever View Post
You will never kill everything in those gouges.
The gouges aren't in the liquid level so I wouldn't worry about it too much. Starsan it and fill it up!

Old 04-16-2012, 06:35 PM   #9
amandabab
Recipes 

Liked 235 Times on 181 Posts
Likes Given: 446

nope.
cleaning it and keeping the scratches sanitized is EASY.
those neck chips and the (possible) surface neck crack means its had a hard life. sure you can grind the stress risers out but the time and effort isn't worth it.

I'd cycle it out if it were mine. carboys are cheap and last almost forever. this one has seen forever and is a few batches on borrowed time.

Old 04-16-2012, 06:43 PM   #10
mpcluever
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 46

Ya carboys are cheap enough that I wouldn't use this. With enough effort, you CAN sanitize it, but bacteria will burrow into the deepest crevices and it's very difficult for sanitizer to get all the way back there to reach them. As soon as the krausen reaches the scratches and falls back in, it doesn't matter if the scratches are above or below the liquid line. We all take risks, just a matter of when and where.

Quick Reply