HBT 2014 Big Giveaway - 4/10 Re-Draw Winners Posted!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > used carboy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2007, 02:24 AM   #1
mcody2005
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default used carboy

i found a used glass carboy at an ongoing flea market. the stuff they sell is used, usually taken out of houses they clean when an old peron with no next of kin kicks the keg. anyway they had a large glass jug that was probably around 7-8 gallons for sale for 10 bucks. the bottom was frosted and had "1977" cast into it. it was about 1/4 full of potting soil and had a dead plant in it. would it be worth my while to grab it and clean it out? I want to buy a secondary fermentor to larer in but have not yet shopped arround.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2007, 02:29 AM   #2
AleHole
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 1 Posts

If you are doing 5 gallon batches and need a secondary you should get a 5 gallon carboy. 7-9 gallons will leave to much head space. Also if the glass is frosted at the bottom and questionable in anyway I personally wouldnt use it. To much work goes into brewing a batch to wonder if your carboy is ok. Check your LHBS many of them have used carboys for sale for around $10 bucks or so. I just picked up 1 5gallon and 1 6.5gallon carboy for $20 at my LHBS.

Old 01-21-2007, 03:32 AM   #3
RichBrewer

Recipes 

Liked 68 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 50

For 10 bucks I would get it. Glass can be cleaned up so I don't see a concern there. But then again that's just me.

Cheers,
Rich

Old 01-21-2007, 01:33 PM   #4
LarMoeCur
Recipes 

I would pass. Who knows where and what it has been through. I would bet if you sneezed near it. It will break. I'm no chemist but I know glass gets brittle with age and exposure.

Old 01-21-2007, 02:13 PM   #5
Beer Weevel
Recipes 

Default Used Carboy

How much is your time worth for $22 or $23 dollars you can buy a new one. And who knows where this ones been? Actually it's only $17 dollars short of a new one, since you're paying ten dollars for it.

Old 01-22-2007, 04:44 AM   #6
ALPS
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcody2005
would it be worth my while to grab it and clean it out? I want to buy a secondary fermentor to larer in but have not yet shopped arround.
For $10? Yes. It's glass and can be cleaned out, regardless if it held potting soil or sulfuric acid. Just make sure you check it over for cracks. Any cracks will eventually lead to failure.

For a secondary? No. Use a smaller, 5 gallon CB.

I'd buy it. You can't have too many CB's and a $10 cash a"7-8 gallon" CB is a good deal. You can always use it for a primary.

A fool and his money are soon partying.

Old 01-22-2007, 04:55 AM   #7
ALPS
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarMoeCur
It will break. I'm no chemist but I know glass gets brittle with age and exposure.
Really? I suppose my grandfather should shellout about $15,000 for new windows in the house his grandfather built because they are 90 years old now. And all those old churches should replace their centuries old stained galss windows before they have any lawsuits filed against them.

A 30 year old CB that's been treated with respectand has no cracks or chips in it is most likely going to last longer than the cheap garbage glass imported now from Mexico and China.

A fool and his money are soon partying.

Old 01-22-2007, 05:05 AM   #8
EvilTOJ

Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I would go get it. I once found two 5 gallon carboys at Goodwill (secondhand thrift store) for $10 each. I bought one. This was just as I was getting into homebrewing and now I could kick myself for not buying both at once!

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Old 01-22-2007, 01:47 PM   #9
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 129 Times on 123 Posts

Quote:
glass gets brittle with age and exposure
This is true, but although 29 years may seem old to some people, glass is good for hundreds of years.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 01-22-2007, 01:52 PM   #10
Cheesefood
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 18 Posts

Go ahead and wonder what's hidden in the micro-fissures and invisible cracks.

Go ahead. Go on.

I'll keep my glass pure by only using glass that has wort passed through it. IE: I'll buy mine new (if I ever buy glass again).

Past Winners: Caramel Cream Ale #1, Hoegaarden Clone, Boom-Boom Vanilla Ale, Lazy Monk Abbey Style, Amarillo Cream Ale. (AG),

Buy a shirt now!!! Please! Did I help you? Buya shirt!
Cool Shirts.

Quick Reply