SWMBO killed my wort chiller!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zweasel

Reaction score
I just found my wort chiller, the last time brewed a batch of beer must have been last fall, it was in a bucket with water up to the top. Because it was in my wife's way she set it outside thinking that it would be ok. I had not seen it until now, just like any water pipe it burst from being frozen over the winter. I have fixed the broken area with a sleeve and sweating the pipe back together with lead free solder.

Now would anyone still try to use it this way? What will the solder do to the wort or will it not do anything. We use it in water pipes in our home now what would be the difference between a wort chiller and hot water pipes?

The difference is pH. Most water is alkaline wheras beer or wort is acidic. But that being said I had mine coupled in the same manner to extend the length and it worked just fine.

From one weasel to another I would say go for it. I would definately check for leaks though. Any pics of how you fixed it? That would help.

hmm.......... don't ask me why but.. this reminds me of the time my ex swmbo chased me into the bathroom for squirting her with the water hose............she took a can of Raid ant spray and began squirting it under the door ........ trying to smoke me out..........good times

clean the area of flux and soak it in a solution of vinegar for a bit, you'll be good to go

Latest posts

Back