Store bought Immersion chiller too tall

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cbird01

Reaction score
I just put together my all grain kit and did my first batch. Had an unexpected complication. I have a keggle and purchased one of those chillers that has the space like this one:

immersion-chiller-tubing-l.jpg

After completing my boil I realized that the keggle is so big the liquid level is lower than the top of the chiller. about half of the top coils sit above the liquid and it took 45 minutes to cool down my wort. Ended up having no cold break at all. I would like to just bring the bottom coils up towards the top coils but worry about kinking the tubing. Also had a suggestion of kind of unwinding the coils starting at the top to make them wider and thus reduce the overall height.

Other option would be to transfer from keggle to 30 qt turkey fryer pot for chilling, but then I never use the bulkhead and filtering(steel scrubby) I built into my keggle.

Any suggestions?

I just took a closer look. It was easier than I thought to just squish them together without kinking. Should work now.

Back