Stinky 1 gallon carboys

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Troubadour.Drew

Reaction score
So I bought a couple of these to store drinking water in and brew with. I've been using them for a few weeks now and I've noticed that toward the end of the gallon of water, it starts to smell and taste like plastic. The weirdest thing is that it doesn't taste or smell when it's full or even half full just in the last 1/4 or so. Anybody else have this happen? Any way to get rid of it?

-Drew

That's weird. Never heard of a plasticy taste coming from a glass jug filled with water. Are you refrigerating it?

:tank:

nope, just sitting on the counter. I've washed it with many different types of soap, even threw some sanitizer in it...nothing seems to work.

Very weird. I've got one for making test batches and now I am concerned...Although I have never had a problem with my 5 gallon glass carboys...

Are you using tap water and are you on a city water line?

my only thought is that it has to be from sitting out on the counter at room temp. Something is getting in there or was already there. I bet if you refrigerate it you aren't going to get that problem.

Could be the RO water at the store also. I have noticed they don't clean those units as often as they should and you can get some after tastes. We just started with a bottling company and the taste doesn't compare with the supermarket water out of those you fill machines.

I guess I could try that. I'm just not sure what it would grow off of. Maybe I should clean it again before putting it in the fridge? Any thoughts on what kind of cleaner would work really well? I've used a few different dish soaps and oxy clean...

With those cleaners you should be fine. Now with the knowledge that RO is a you fill my bet is it has nothing to do with what you are doing.

Using 1 gal jugs I also find them getting "skunked" after a week or two. I use oxy clean and bleach for a day each. (Hey it rimes so I can remember it).
If it still stinks after that, it becomes "multiple sources of light" in the trash.

I just think it's weird that I've only ever had water in it so far. I'm heading to the store later this afternoon so I'll clean it out, get some water and maybe throw it in the fridge. Hopefully that will help...

Just use bleach. It cleans and kills everything, and it can't hurt the glass. Fill your jug 1/2 way with HOT water, add 2 cap fulls of bleach, shake and let it sit. then shake a few more times before morning. Rinse till you don't smell bleach any more (3 times).

Then try a different kind and brand of water.

Well, sorry this has taken so long but life seemed to get a bit busy for awhile! I've done just about everything suggested from cleaning one with bleach and one with baking soda...to trying different water...refrigerating one...and have come to the conclusion that these carboy's simply stink! I'm not sure why, but the smell just won't seem to go away. I guess I'll just have to purchase two more and hope that they won't stink!!

Oh well. Thank you all for all of the help!!

-Drew

That's just really weird. Anyone got ideas on how a stink that bad stuck to glass even after all the cleaning they have been through?

Yeah but if bleach can't do it, how is oxiclean going to be better? Don't get me wrong. I love oxiclean but...

oxiclean IS awesome, and it seemed to work for a little while. That was before I started this thread...Maybe I should just freshen it every once in awhile with a lemon or something...

are you cleaning the threads and the outside as well? the smell might not be on the inside.

You can either swab on some oxy or straight peroxide to clean the outside.

Or just soak in a tub.

B

Latest posts

Back