Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Starter Kit

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-17-2006, 07:09 PM   #1
lmvantassel
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Starter Kit

I want to get my husband a starter kit for brewing beer... I don't want to spend more than $100, because I have no idea if he'll enjoy it. There are so many little kits out there, can anyone recommend one? THANK YOU!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-17-2006, 07:18 PM   #2
loopmd

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Here's one from a reputable company. After you get the kit you still need bottles and ingredients. That should take it right to the $100 you are thinking about. http://www.northernbrewer.com/starterkits.html

hth, loop

Old 08-17-2006, 07:26 PM   #3
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 355 Times on 293 Posts
Likes Given: 95

That one looks good, pretty similar to what I have. The other thing I added before brewing my first batch was a 5 gallon carboy to be a secondary fermenter. As almost anyone here will testify, being able to let the beer condition in a secondary fermenter for a couple weeks makes a huge difference in the quality of the beer. That kit, plus a carboy, keeps you still under $100. The bottles can be bought at home brew stores or online, or you can just save all your crown-top (not twist-off) bottles. You might end up a touch more than $100 - but trust me, he'll enjoy the hobby

Do you have a big stockpot or something to brew in? He'll start out doing partial boils of 2-3 gallons, but you need something that will hold more than that because wort has a strong tendancy to boil over (and you do NOT want that on your stovetop).

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 08-17-2006, 07:33 PM   #4
lmvantassel
Recipes 

Thanks! Sadly, I know absolutely nothing about this and am already confused. Are there any kits that just have EVERYTHING I need to get started? I figure we can buy any extras later on...

So basically, I just want something that will be pretty simple (so he doesn't get frustrated with it right away) and something that isn't way out of my price range. Would you just recommend getting that kit and then getting the bottles, ingredients, secondary fermenter, and carboy separate??

Old 08-17-2006, 07:44 PM   #5
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 355 Times on 293 Posts
Likes Given: 95

Well, let me ask; do you know if there is a homebrew store in your vacinity? Where do you live? The starter kit will certainly get him going, the carboy can be added later on, the bottles, though, you will need before very long.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 08-17-2006, 07:46 PM   #6
iloman
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmvantassel
Thanks! Sadly, I know absolutely nothing about this and am already confused. Are there any kits that just have EVERYTHING I need to get started? I figure we can buy any extras later on...

So basically, I just want something that will be pretty simple (so he doesn't get frustrated with it right away) and something that isn't way out of my price range. Would you just recommend getting that kit and then getting the bottles, ingredients, secondary fermenter, and carboy separate??
Do you live somewhere that might have a Local Home Brew Store? If so it'd be worth your time to take a trip out there and see what they can offer you in your price range.

Also, you can either purchase the book or bookmark the website www.howtobrew.com that is very simple to follow and understand.

Many local stores sell kits of ingredients with basic instructions that are easy to brew when paired with the above book/knowledge.

Of course, you can always come back here and ask more questions too after you've gotten the equipment

Jason

Old 08-17-2006, 07:55 PM   #7
rdwj

Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 13 Posts

I think Midwest has pretty good kits. The Intermediate one has everything he could ever want to get started.

Old 08-17-2006, 08:18 PM   #8
lmvantassel
Recipes 

I'm in St. Paul, Minnesota -- anyone know of any local stores??

Old 08-17-2006, 08:21 PM   #9
lmvantassel
Recipes 

Okay nevermind...just did a quick search and there are a few places around - including Northern Brewer. Maybe I'll just stop by there. Thanks for all your help!!

Old 08-17-2006, 08:23 PM   #10
rdwj

Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmvantassel
I'm in St. Paul, Minnesota -- anyone know of any local stores??
Midwest is in Minneapolis. Is that close?

Quick Reply