Star San Price increase

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yodalegomaster

Reaction score
I just stopped by midwest and tried to buy a bottle of star san and it was 24.99 for the large bottle! What happened? I checked the NB catalog and it's listed at 15.99 and since they are the same owners now.

Anyone have a recipe to make it yourself?

Googled and found this: http://www.jimsbeerkit.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=28313

I don't think it would be worth the hassle of tracking down and buying the chemicals to me.

Even at $24.99 it is not a significant expense. The bottle I have is just about 3 years old and half is left. I have brewed over 60 batches and also half a dozen wines.

for the amount of money you'd save i doubt it would be worth it.. i'm with kh54s10, i think its like 6ml for 1gal of water, i honestly can't see myself going through that until my 5 year old is graduating high school..

The 32oz size is the same $24.99 at Northern Brewer, not sure what you referenced. Anyways, if you use it properly and save what you mix up it should last a long time. I brew twice a month, have a 6.5 gallon bucket of it mixed up all the time and it lasts for several months. I go through maybe 3 buckets per year and the 32oz package lasts me well over a year.

for the amount of money you'd save i doubt it would be worth it.. i'm with kh54s10, i think its like 6ml for 1gal of water, i honestly can't see myself going through that until my 5 year old is graduating high school..

Correct. I buy distilled water in the 1 gal jug and add the star san. Then peel the label and mark it sanitizer.

Is that ok to do?

Correct. I buy distilled water in the 1 gal jug and add the star san. Then peel the label and mark it sanitizer.

Is that ok to do?

Yup, that's fine. The distilled water will keep it from getting cloudy quickly. But as long as the PH is below 3.0 you are good to go. Here is a great thread on StarSan effectiveness with different water.

Back