Star San(longterm storage question)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JNye

Reaction score
I know this stuff is good for a very longtime if made with RO/DI water. So I made up a 5 gallon batch and I can easily put the lid on it and save it for a few batches, couple months, brewing career:p. But since sugars and other things do end up in the solution during cleanup does this effect its longterm viability? Those of you who do reuse it, how long?

I have very soft water, and I just mix with that. I've kept a 5 gallon bucket full for about 3 months. I check it with pH strips, and if it gets over 2, I "freshen" it up with a little more concentrate. I keep doing this until the solution gets nasty from the other things you mentioned.

It shouldn't get contaminated with sugars and the like. You don't use star-san to clean up with, you use it for sanitizing. The idea is that you're only sanitizing already clean equipment.

That's good in theory, but in my brewery, things happen to find their way into that bucket every so often. Like dipping a stir-spoon that you thought was clean, or a siphon hose that was laid down on the counter mid-siphon, etc. I try to be OCD when it comes to sanitation, but **** happens.:D

That's good in theory, but in my brewery, things happen to find their way into that bucket every so often. Like dipping a stir-spoon that you thought was clean, or a siphon hose that was laid down on the counter mid-siphon, etc. I try to be OCD when it comes to sanitation, but **** happens.:D

of course, if i set something down with wort on it and i then realize i want that clean, i'm not gonna run in the house and clean it, star san is good enough. I'll get some ph strips and monitor it. Its good to now others are reusing it even after it gets a little stuff in it, and aren't having adverse effects.

I don't save Starsan that I have "dunked" stuff in, or that has been used.

For dunking and bulk use, I mix Starsan with tap water and dispose of it at the end of the day. I usually mix 5 gallons for communal use on a group brew day.

I make 2.5 gallons with distilled water and just fill spray bottles etc from that... nothing goes back into the original jug.

Sorry to say it, but that makes you a lazy bewer that does not pay attention to their process. Things like that lead to mistakes and mistakes lead to bad brews. :mad:

Whenever I use an instrument it get cleaned/rinsed in hot water before going back into the sanitizer. Period. ;)

I keep a 5 gal batch 24/7. I write the date on a piece of tape (which I put on the side of the bucket) so I know how old it is.

Sorry to say it, but that makes you a lazy bewer that does not pay attention to their process. Things like that lead to mistakes and mistakes lead to bad brews. :mad:

Whenever I use an instrument it get cleaned/rinsed in hot water before going back into the sanitizer. Period. ;)

I keep a 5 gal batch 24/7. I write the date on a piece of tape (which I put on the side of the bucket) so I know how old it is.

Good for ya. I hope you never make a mistake. Now back to the OP's original question about the viability of Starsan when stored...

BFD. I'm lazy too. I admit I am new at this and I am sure i will tightten up my processes as i mature. I am not on a mission for "the perfect brew", right now it just has to be better then BMC, and cheaper:D. Maybe i'll add a 5 gallon bucket of hot rinse water to my brew day.

so you date the star san, when does it expire for you? or do you just monitor ph as well?

I make a batch and keep it until the ph gets too high or I need more as I have used so much in blowoff jars or whatever.

I just keep it in a Home Depot bucket with lid with my brew stuff.

It last a really long time. Great stuff.

Latest posts

Back