Is this pump OK for HLT to MLT?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wouldn't trust a pump for transferring hot wort unless it explicitly state that it was capable of handling hot liquids.

Well.... it is an impeller pump which means it is not sealess. This type of pump has seals around a central shaft and impelled that drive the liquid through the pump. These types of pump will have some leakage, which isn't good for brewing but may be OK....

Also, it is 12VDC so you will need a transformer in place to use it on 110VAC. I would not pick this up if I were you.

12 VDC is okay, because I already have a power supply that is more than big enough. Housing and impeller are stainless, so why wouldn't it be OK?

I used one before and the rubber impeller separates from the bushing after just a short time if you use hot water I mean anything over 140 degs. at least it did for me and I had one just like it, I fixed it & sold it for just Cold water transfer only.And it works great for that.

I would bet the bank like keiths reply above posted,a rubber impeller is used not stainless for the price of that pump and I bet it's an import like from China. Availability of the seal alone if a standard American replacement can replace it is another question you should find out as well the inpeller if made of rubber. If stainless then the seal is the only worry and what the maximum temp rating of the seal is? A battery charger could run it everyone has one or two so 12 volts is no problem. I say save your money and bite the bullet and get a March pump no matter how much it pisses you off on the price they want for them. Especially if you need two of 'em for your system. At least it will be about the last one you'll ever need to buy. Home Brewing, a hobby that cost twice what you told the wife it would cost about sums it up.

Back